Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Fixed

---------------------------------

Odd how low charge could be misdiagnosed as a bad txv.

If there's a leak the problem will recur - I would get it repaired. Adding refridgerant isn't part of normal maintenance.

A restricted txv may show up as low charge is he's a low side only tech.

Quote Originally Posted by rooftop tech View Post
    A restricted txv may show up as low charge is he's a low side only tech.
    What do you mean? Can you explain please? Is this a problem?

[QUOTE

Odd how low charge could be misdiagnosed as a bad txv.

If there's a leak the problem will recur - I would get it repaired. Adding refridgerant isn't part of normal maintenance.[/QUOTE]

I really think first tech misguided me and wanted to sell new system. 2nd Tech did replace valve on the HOT side of the pipe. My machine is working great since the repair (30 hours).
    Is there any sign I should look for?

A restricted txv typically will give low pressure on the low side and high pressure on the high side. Alot of techs don't bother with a high side gauge for whatever reason. I'm as guilty as the next guy I"ll admit. At any rate if he came out and the suction pressure was at 45 instead of 75.....he adds refrigerant until it's where he wanted it and everyone is happy and figures it's fixed. Everyone is always quick to question the first tech at the job but no one seems to ever question the 2nd guy. I've made very simple diagnosis in the past and had a 2nd opinion come up with something totally off the wall. I've also found that if the customer is calling for a 2nd opinion there is a reason and they'll believe just about anything they're told at this fragile time.

Yup I'm aware of that - no good tech would diagnose a system based on pressures alone.

I really think first tech misguided me and wanted to sell new system. 2nd Tech did replace valve on the HOT side of the pipe. My machine is working great since the repair (30 hours).
    Is there any sign I should look for?
    For a refrigerant leak: deteriorating performance over time, oil at the site of the leak (you won't spot this if the leak is inaccessible), high operating costs.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12