Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

13 Year Old York- need replacement advise

Hi,

We have 1700 sqft house in Arizona. We are not hitting 105 all most everyday. Our A/C was running for long time and I had tech come and check it today. he said we have some kind of "chockup" in the system and so cold line needs to check up. He also said it is called TKV (Some valve system). The estimate for repair is very high.
    Now he gave us option to replace the unit. He suggested 18 SEER York Afinity line unit. This is 4800 BTU (4 Ton) Unit. And price tag is huge but interestingly called around few places and price has huge variation. It was between York/Rudd/Goodman. My question is which A/C brand is better and why there is so much price difference? What approach should be used to make decision?

Thanks for help and your time in advanced.
    Last edited by bhola; 05-13-2009 at 01:00 AM.

You might want to edit yer post and take out the prices, as they don't allow pricing on this sight.

he said we have some kind of "chockup" in the system and so cold line needs to check up. He also said it is called TKV (Some valve system). The estimate for repair is very high.
    He must have meant txv - time for a second opinion.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

The York unit. Is the top of the line York model.
    Were the other 2 top of the line models for their brand. Or were they lower end models.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    He must have meant txv - time for a second opinion.
    Yes it was txv. Is this thing real and repairs are expensive? I have called some one for 2nd opinion. I will find out today.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The York unit. Is the top of the line York model.
    Were the other 2 top of the line models for their brand. Or were they lower end models.
    Other two systems are close to York not same. RUDD was 16 SEER and Goodman was 15.5 compare to York 17.5.

That York is 2 stage.

Were the others 2 stage, or were they only single stage units.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i think beenthere is trying to figure out if you are comparing apples to apples etc....
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by bhola View Post
    Yes it was txv. Is this thing real and repairs are expensive? I have called some one for 2nd opinion. I will find out today.

It's a real component - probably expensive because the refrigerant has to be removed (or pumpted down into the outdoor unit) to replace it.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

o.O I have replaced one without pulling the refer.
    Thomas aka...spymoocow
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    Ah, sorry I thought that's what he meant. An inch shouldn't make that much difference (at least that's what I always tell my wife).

Quote Originally Posted by bhola View Post
    Hi,

... he said we have some kind of "chockup" in the system and so cold line needs to check up....
    Before your tech is able to tell you exactly what is wrong with the old system, e.g. what is needed to fix or why would you need to change the system, I would seek for another opinion (A professional tech will be able to provide you with an answer other than "something is wrong with XXX" or "it is an old system").

Get second- , third (or more) opinion(s) until you are comfortable with your tech before making any decisions.

just my .02c

K

Update:

I called another tech, who is also owner. He came in and said nothing is wrong just need to charge the system. Which he did in <one hour and it started cooling our house. It's been 6 hours since the repair and machine is working. It's cooling down house with thermostat at 81.

I think my machine will survive through this summer. Thanks for all the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by spymoocow View Post
    o.O I have replaced one without pulling the refer.
    Fixed

---------------------------------

I think my machine will survive through this summer. Thanks for all the responses.
    Odd how low charge could be misdiagnosed as a bad txv.

If there's a leak the problem will recur - I would get it repaired. Adding refridgerant isn't part of normal maintenance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast