Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Load Calculation Programs

What load calculation programs do yall use? Are there any out there that are'nt approved for use?

RHVAC, HVAC- Calc, There are plenty of software available. Just Google HVAC Load calc software.

Wrightsoft is a good one, as it is based on the ACCA manuals. There is another good one too, can't remember the name, that was based on ASHRAE. I think it started with an A. Anybody remember? Anyway, here in Arkansas, the code only really requires load calcs based on ACCA. However, there are plenty that are not very good. One is Obrien's I think. From what I saw, it was only based on ACCA Maual J abridged, which you are encouraged not to use, as it's only really for getting an understanding of the full manual J. For manual N and whatnot, Wrightsoft is usually the way to go.

HVAC-calc
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

CALC/PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin73 View Post
    What load calculation programs do yall use? Are there any out there that are'nt approved for use?
    I'd like to learn more about what "approved" means. Are we talking about a legal authority? I used Hvac-Calc because of being available, easy to use, and inexpensive.

Thanks in advance -- Pstu

Quote Originally Posted by pstu View Post
    I'd like to learn more about what "approved" means. Are we talking about a legal authority? I used Hvac-Calc because of being available, easy to use, and inexpensive.

Basically, that's what I'm after. I have a load calc program, it is very easy to use. I've never used wrightsoft, but everyone that uses the one I have says it is so much easier to use than wrightsoft. It has residential, commercial, HVAC Simulator, and duct sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by pstu View Post

"approved" means that the software company created HVAC software based on ACCA manual J. ACCA manuals are taken from and blessed by ASHRAE which IS the authority. subsequently most municipalities and others will require HVAC contractors to use "approved" methods or software.
    .....this is my understanding for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    "approved" means that the software company created HVAC software based on ACCA manual J. ACCA manuals are taken from and blessed by ASHRAE which IS the authority. subsequently most municipalities and others will require HVAC contractors to use "approved" methods or software.
    .....this is my understanding for what its worth.

Have you heard of Comfortblt Engineering? It's based on manual J. Do you ever go to AACA in Mesquite?

Wrightsoft is our bread and butter. As stupid as it sounds our customers and potential clients drool over the heat load/gain pie graphs that the report prints out. We've definitely made our money back just with the gimmicky cool looking graphs.

Oh and it's awesome, accurate, and bloody expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin73 View Post
    Have you heard of Comfortblt Engineering? It's based on manual J. Do you ever go to AACA in Mesquite?
    I was just there on tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by BlizzardDude View Post
    Wrightsoft is our bread and butter. As stupid as it sounds our customers and potential clients drool over the heat load/gain pie graphs that the report prints out. We've definitely made our money back just with the gimmicky cool looking graphs.

Oh and it's awesome, accurate, and bloody expensive.
    Is it worth it? And how expensive?
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

around a $1000 but let me warn you of the learning curve because you will need alot of patience and a few classes. Be sure to get the manual D program as well. Dont be discouraged because once you start using it you will wonder how you lived without it.

....also look at Elite, it's slightly less intimidating to me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast