refrigerant noise?

does refrigerant ever make noise going through the lines, like gurgles etc.? It looks like the refrigerant lines for my mini split might run through the bedroom suspended ceiling.
    Laura

Well, it makes some noise but how much is too much? You might want to get someone in to check the refrigerant charge now the weather is warming up.

Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    Well, it makes some noise but how much is too much? You might want to get someone in to check the refrigerant charge now the weather is warming up.
    I don't have it installed yet. I had a contractor over to look at how to install a mini-split and that was his suggestion, have the lines run the length of the house since I wanted the outdoor unit on the other side. But they would have to run through the suspended ceiling - no sound insulation - to do this. Very little noise is too much in that situation.

So it does make what? gurglings or something? Or what? How loud is it?

thanks
    Laura

usually a whoosh when the unit starts up..after that the lines them selves should be quiet. Some units you would not know its running unless u felt the lines. It also depends how the lines are ran and suspended..an improper job and vibrations from the unit may travel threw the lines

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    usually a whoosh when the unit starts up..after that the lines them selves should be quiet. Some units you would not know its running unless u felt the lines. It also depends how the lines are ran and suspended..an improper job and vibrations from the unit may travel threw the lines
    How loud of a whoosh? Kind of hard to describe, probably. Whooshes are relatively un-irritating, but introducing any kind of noise into the sleeping area isn't good. I'd probably run it in dry mode overnight, the compressor would be turning on and off every few minutes overnight and maybe making noise each time.

I *could* wrap the lines in soundproofing, which is also thermal insulation. 1" thick closed-cell foam.

It would be a small mini-split. 1.5 ton or maybe even 1.25 ton. Would a small one be making noise in the lines?

What should the contractor be careful to do when installing it? what's an improper job?

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by plarian View Post
    How loud of a whoosh? Kind of hard to describe, probably. Whooshes are relatively un-irritating, but introducing any kind of noise into the sleeping area isn't good. I'd probably run it in dry mode overnight, the compressor would be turning on and off every few minutes overnight and maybe making noise each time.

I *could* wrap the lines in soundproofing, which is also thermal insulation. 1" thick closed-cell foam.

It would be a small mini-split. 1.5 ton or maybe even 1.25 ton. Would a small one be making noise in the lines?

What should the contractor be careful to do when installing it? what's an improper job?

Laura
    Just make sure the contractor does'nt support the lineset tightly against the joists in the ceiling.. im sure he knows that already

Finally, if this is the only way to effectively run the lines and you want air conditioning then it is what it is. You can try some sound proofing if you like, but i would see what it is like when you turn it on and go from there. Depending on the brand most of these systems are very quiet. I know it would not bother me when running.

What brand are you installing?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Finally, if this is the only way to effectively run the lines and you want air conditioning then it is what it is.
    There are lots of ways of doing it. This is just what he came up with.

I suppose you don't have to locate the outside unit right next to the house, even.

You can try some sound proofing if you like, but i would see what it is like when you turn it on and go from there.
    Sure. So it's feasible to wrap 1" soundproofing foam around refrigerant lines, if needed? Are they normally wrapped in insulation?

Depending on the brand most of these systems are very quiet. I know it would not bother me when running.

What brand are you installing?
    Most likely fujitsu - like 15RLQ or 18RLQ. One reason why is, their dBA numbers are very good. They say the outside unit only puts out 49 dBA. Sounds vary a lot in how annoying they are, just the dBA doesn't tell you that much. This contractor says he's only had problems with about 1% of the units he's installed (!)

Laura

that brand unit is very good quality IMO.

Yes, the refrigerant lines (both) are insulated but for temperature issues.. I done think it will help at all when it comes to sound.

Lets see if you have an issue first but i dont see a problem with wrapping foam around them.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Yes, the refrigerant lines (both) are insulated but for temperature issues.. I done think it will help at all when it comes to sound.
    I talked to Fujitsu and they said they have a minimum length for refrigerant lines to avoid refrigerant flow noise, and the bedroom is far enough from the outdoor unit so that I wouldn't be hearing any noise in the lines. The bedroom would actually be close to the indoor unit.

Soundproofing foam is also good thermal insulation, so if lines were wrapped in that, it would take care of both issues. But hopefully any whooshes etc. will have dissipated by the time it gets to my bedroom.

Laura

i installed a fujitsu in an almost identical situation last year.
    we took large dia. split insulation & wrapped over the line set insulation &
    there is no noise at all. the lines were suspended with fiberglas strips
    the owner was standing about 5 ft. from the condenser & couldnt hear it running. we have a mitsubishi in our bedroom & is is very quiet also