HELP: New HVAC or Add Heat Pump

First I would like to let you all know I am a newbie.

Things to Consider:
    House is a Modular 2 story with walk out basement and J Load measurements are measures on 1350sq/ft living area.
    I currently have a Rheem Oil Furnace with the ducting for central air, however I do not have central air.
    Secondly due to the economy a very identical house next to mine (same features, sq footage, etc) is now selling for $60K less than what I paid.
    I was planning to stay in my house for another 5 years however that is not certain.
    If I do stay in my house passed 5 years I would like to extend above my garage which is about 20' X 24'

I originally started looking for just a central air addition. I received quotes from Carrier, Lennox and Trane.
    The last quote I received was from a Trane dealer who took the time to do the J load and talk about my options. He stated that I am looking at a 2 Ton system, however if I build over the garage I am at a 2.5 Ton.

Delima:
    Option 1. First option is to do a Trane Single Stage (XL14i) add on to my existing furnace, which is about 1/3 the price of my second option.
    Option 2. Put in a new Trane Furnace XV90, with XL16i, and Honeywell IAQ.

If I were to build over the garage then I would have to consider the XL14i 2.5 Tons, or if i go with option 2 I would have to go with a 3 Ton as the XL16i does not do .5 increments.

I currently pay $ yearly for a service contract to maintain my existing Oil Furnace, if I go with Option 2 then I am covered 10yrs parts and labor, but this HVAC company has a $ yearly maintenance option that I would consider.

I know this is alot of information but I cannot make up my mind if to go with Option 1 or 2, and if so should I get a 2.5 Ton (Option 1) or 3Ton (Option 2).
    To be fair the HVAC company is strongly recommending a 2 TON system as he stated that customers usually don't get around to their "home improvement" and I would suffer from an oversized unit.
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-12-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Removed prices.

True most people dont get around to their home improvements or move in 5 years either.
    If you want the best in both worlds in air to air look into a dual fuel two stage a/c system and a modulating furnace. Ask your contractor if your set up for that.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Can you expand on what a modulating furnace is. I can tell you the Rheem that is in here is a single stage and it is only 3 years old.

Some Modulating furnace's modulate the gas valve and blower motor. Another modulates the gas valve, blower and inducer motor.
    They are the most expensive but also the most cost effective even in the short run. They carry the best warranty and highest the highest efficiencys.
    They can also easily be adapted to use your home a/c or heat pump as a whole house dehumidifier.
    For the price difference i would check them out before you decide.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

A 2 stage 2.5 ton unit would appear to meet your needs providing the existing ducting is adequate (existing ducting shouldn't be a problem if and when you add the addition). How old is the furnace? If it's more than 12-15 years old, you might want to consider a new, well-matched system, (multistage/modulating furnace with a 2 stage condenser/heat pump). With the right high efficiency system, you'll get a $1500 tax credit from Uncle Sam and rebates from the manufacturer.

This is another wrench in my delimma, this Rheem furnace is 4 years old.
    So for about 1/3 the price of a new furnace/heat pump i can have central air.

If the Rheem's only 4 years old I wouldn't get rid of it, as it probably has plenty of life still left in it of course. Without a variable speed fan motor in the unit (which your dealer can tell you), you won't get much over 13 SEER, so in that case you probably want to just look at Trane's XR13 or XR14 models (if you use this dealer). If matched to Trane coil inside and registered within 60 days these units have 10 year warranties on all parts.

Just get an outdoor condenser and matching coil. You probably won't get a super-high SEER (16+) but you'll still have a nice cooling system. A Rheem 2.5 ton unit would make some sense.

This is also what I was leaning towards. Mating up either the XL14i or XR14. If I go this route I have the following questions.
    What is the difference between the XL14i and XR14.
    Contractor states he has an XL13i which is discontinued that he would throw in place of the XR13 he quoted me, what do you all think?
    Can I use either the XL14i, XR14, or XL13i as a heat pump?

I am new to the "heat pump" concept. I did not realize that a condensor can support heat. So if I go with one of these condensor can I have them setup my Rheem furnace and Trane Condensor as a hybrid? Meaning I can use the condensor as a heat pump in the winter and i believe when it goes under 30 degrees then it will utilize my oil?

Quote Originally Posted by dohcser View Post
    . So if I go with one of these condensor can I have them setup my Rheem furnace and Trane Condensor as a hybrid? Meaning I can use the condensor as a heat pump in the winter and i believe when it goes under 30 degrees then it will utilize my oil?
    Yes, you can. It's usually a little more convenient to stick to a single manufacturer for the first and second stage heating, but not absolutely necessary. You will, however, need to use the same manufacturers indoor coil and outdoor condenser.