Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    thank you, thank you, i'll be here all week.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    thank you, thank you, i'll be here all week.
    LOL... Thought you might like that.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I don't know it depends on your needs or greed's "or" maybe how large of a company your trying to support. I have always said that overhead is a personal problem no one makes a company grow, you have to want to grow, we stay small, to do so we actually turn down a lot of business but that's my choice. It's obvious that the larger company your trying to build or support your prices will have to move according to growth, this is why most larger company's charge more for there services and products, I think that's pretty much a given.

Brian, I have recently got into the GC business because of Hurricane Ike and I can tell you the stress level is way lower than the a/c business, I wished I would have done this 30 years ago instead of the a/c business because in hurricane alley you can make a great! honest living being a GC, my GC business has just exploded beyond my most vivid expectations.

Brian, I guess some price according to there needs or greed's and that could be a major contrast, right? we all want to make a profit, or our customer won't have us to call because we will be out of business, but one mans profit margin will always be different from another mans, depending on his needs or greed's, and if you think about it these two things are really the only two definers of how much we all want to make,right? I personally am a very content person in life, God, family, roof, transportation, food, and I am pretty much good to go, but others may want more out of life, nothing wrong with that, except it just takes a little more money.
    Bill,
    You have a very understanding and forgiving way of looking at the variety of pricing structures contractors use. I have always taken pride in trying to be fair. It irks me to see others try to take the customer for all they can, because it usually centers on exploiting the customer’s naiveté.

I recently watched a concrete staining company fleece my customer right in front of me. He slickly recommended a $2,700 job should be upgraded to a $4,600 job. With virtually no material costs and little technical ability the two monkeys were finished in a day and a half. That’s about $200/hr per man, roughly what I pay my lawyer. It was all made possible by the slick sales presentation.

I wish you luck with your GC career change. I have always enjoyed the business and found it to be very rewarding.

Best Regards,
    Brian

Profit Margin is Irrelevent

What he marks it up is really none of your business.

He/she has cost associated with any parts or supplies and all trades people make profit on the parts they supply. Electricians, Masons, Auto Repair, etc.
    Profit on material always exists.

There is a vague term called overhead such as truck costs, office costs, secretaries, health insurance, etc. and this cost is spread across labor rates and material rates. No one other than business owner knows what his costs are. If you think his rates for R-22 are high, you've learned to ask for both the labor rate, the R-22 per pound rate, and an estimated time to repair the next time you call for service....

By the way, does Home Depot or Lowe's tell you their profit margin??? Some of those items at 50% clearance are still making them money over their cost but if you factored in overhead they lose money.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    I recently watched a concrete staining company fleece my customer right in front of me. He slickly recommended a $2,700 job should be upgraded to a $4,600 job. With virtually no material costs and little technical ability the two monkeys were finished in a day and a half. That’s about $200/hr per man, roughly what I pay my lawyer. It was all made possible by the slick sales presentation.
    I have no dog in this fight.

In your example, good for the salesman. Bad for the customer.

Buyer beware.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    I have no dog in this fight.

Buyer beware.

Take care.
    We only have one side of that story.

He said virtually no material cost.

Could have been more then he knows, or is letting on.

He may be jealous that he didn't get the concrete work. Or a cut of the extra work.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I personally am a very content person in life, God, family, roof, transportation, food, and I am pretty much good to go, but others may want more out of life, nothing wrong with that, except it just takes a little more money.
    You forgot about "sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll".

Oh wait, that was 30 years ago

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by wraujr View Post

By the way, does Home Depot or Lowe's tell you their profit margin???
    They do.... because they are publicly traded.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post

Buyer beware.

Take care.
    Would you also say “good” for Bernie Madoff, or would you call them scumbags. I would call them the later.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    We only have one side of that story.

He said virtually no material cost.

Could have been more then he knows, or is letting on.

He may be jealous that he didn't get the concrete work. Or a cut of the extra work.
    Why is so hard for you to feel contempt for the shysters in our industry, were you one of them? You sure have an opinion about gc’s.

The materials mentioned were two gallons of stain, masking tape and paper, and two hours of wear and tear on a diamond grinder. You do the math.

I don’t get a cut of all contractors on my jobs, nor do I try. The jealously detected is probably from you not getting a GC License and taking better opportunity of projects you were on. But that would require you to be more versed in the building trades rather than focusing on just one.

Two can play at this game.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    They do.... because they are publicly traded.

Nope. You still don't know profit margin. Only profit. You don't know how much they sold, so you can't know margin.

Why is so hard for you to feel contempt for the shysters in our industry, were you one of them? You sure have an opinion about gc’s.

Just because you work on a low margin, doesn't mean everyone has to.

The materials mentioned were two gallons of stain, masking tape and paper, and two hours of wear and tear on a diamond grinder. You do the math.

Again, just your side of the story.
    Don't continue to bash someone that is not here to post his side of the story.

I don’t get a cut of all contractors on my jobs, nor do I try. The jealously detected is probably from you not getting a GC License and taking better opportunity of projects you were on. But that would require you to be more versed in the building trades rather than focusing on just one.

Nope. Seen the GC side already. Don't really care for it.

Two can play at this game.

Brian
    You are playing games, trying to start a bunch of BS.

Do not post flaming remarks about contractors that are not here to tell their side.
    Contractor locator map

eddy, is that you?
    i was born under a wandrin star.

Quote Originally Posted by stonefly View Post
    eddy, is that you?
    Cant be eddy,Even he not dumb enough to think one could make a living running a service truck on 65 dollars an hour.

Just goes to show that the guys that working for him gets no schooling,no insurance,no vacation pay and I'll bet not even a 15 dollar gift cert for a freaking turkey on xmas.

I was almost shock to hear what was being said untill I looked up and seen it was a gc.

Now I remember why I stay away from this section of the site.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
    Cant be eddy,Even he not dumb enough to think one could make a living running a service truck on 65 dollars an hour.

Just goes to show that the guys that working for him gets no schooling,no insurance,no vacation pay and I'll bet not even a 15 dollar gift cert for a freaking turkey on xmas.

Now I remember why I stay away from this section of the site.
    Sorry Simpleman, I dont want to embarrass you, (sucking up?) But I have to add to this. To me, your helper is a "boy", compared to my age. You referred to him as your "air" expert, or something close to that with expert at the end of your statement when you first walked into my house. I'm thinking, "he's a kid", like my son, who I have to threaten to just take out the trash. He was one of the smartest, hardest working "kid's" that I have met in years. He took his job very serious. I tried breaking him down with small talk after about his 10'th trip from my attic, he was VERY kind, but he never stopped working.

My guess is you do the opposite of what this GC does and you take care of your employee's. It show's!

Thumbs up

Crap, the first time I ever double posted (NOW REMOVED) And I'm not sure how I did it...Can my post count be reduced so some (bad) pro cant beat a HO for a high post count?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast