Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Vista Laptop USB RS 485 Converter

I can't get a USB x RS485 converter to work on a Vista laptop. I've tried Belkin and another brand. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've also tried a TCP IP x RS485 converter (BF-430) without success.

Post Likes
    You dont have a seral port?? I am using vista and it works fine. I think the Dell Latitude is one of the few that still put a seral port in.

Post Likes
    None of our laptops have serial ports.

Post Likes
    Try a Digi Edgeport/1, it is a USB/Serial converter, they are expensive ($90.00-$100.00) but they come with a utility (in the Win98 folder) on the CD to assign the device to a specific COM port. Then use an RS-232/RS-485 converter (B&B Electronics p/n 485SD9TB). I haven't tried it with Vista but they always work on XP laptops w/o serial ports. I haven't had any luck with a USB to RS-485 adapter, the above works (on XP).

Your problem may be that Vista assign's the adapter to a random COM port. Some software requires a specific COM port (like HVAC-Pro from JCI, COM1 or COM2 Only !). The 2 device thing is expensive but you can always use the 232/485 with a regular serial port.

We have stayed with XP simply because none of the major Mfgrs support Vista 100%, you may have to setup something to be able to use XP on those laptops, dual boot/virtual machine. Ask an IT guy what your options are.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

Any advice provided is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not, a penny less !!

Post Likes

This might help

I've used the USB-COMi-SI-M with Win XP but you can find a Vista driver for it. Here is the web page for it
    http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner...s+(Single+Port)

Post Likes
    My Trane Rover kit came with a USB to RS-485 converter. (Actually, it's a USB to RS-232 and a RS-232 to RS-485 converter in one package.) Since I use PCMCIA RS-485, I let another co-worker use it on his Vista laptop, and it works with no problems. If I ever get my hands back on it, I will try to dechiper who made the darn thing. (Like Quatech makes the RS-485 card, and Echelon made the Lon adapter.)
    NeonHomer
    Schneider Electric I/A Series, Schneider Electric SmartStruxure/SmartStruxure Lite, and Niagara R2/AX technician.

Do it right the first time, and you will not have to do it again.

When all else fails... Get a bigger hammer!!

Post Likes
    Thanks for the help. Looks like I have several options. I will post my progress.
    Thanks again

Post Likes
    B&B Electronics makes the Edgeport but they also have a straight USB to 485/422 converter. The part number is USPTL4. They also have an optically isolated one. They are very expensive ($120 for the USPTL4 and $140 for the isolated), but they work well. I use mine to do everything from troubleshoot MS/TP busses to download N2. The datasheet says that it works with Vista.

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the help.

I'm still investigating all of these.

I did get the Vista drivers for the Keyspan USB x 232 from Tripplite.com I connected a 232 x 485 converter made by 3One Data Communications Tech and also to a converter made by ICP.com.

Both these converters work connected directly to a serial port running XP.

When I connect the converters to the USB x 232 converter on the Vista machine it will receive data from my device but I get an error when I send data.

Any additional help is appreciated

Post Likes

Dallas vendor?

I give up. Can anyone suggest a Dallas Tx vendor that can fix me up with a working solution?

USB to RS485
    Ethernet to RS485
    PCMCIA to Rs485

Post Likes

USB to RS485 Ethernet to RS485

have you ever used the Hexin brand RS-485 converters?

USB to RS485

http://www.hexin-technology.com/USB_2.0_To_RS-485_Converter-Product-255.html

Ethernet to RS485
    http://www.hexin-technology.com/RS-4...oduct-253.html

Post Likes
    I'll take a look, thanks

Post Likes

Smile

---------------------------------------
    pc adapter world: www.shopsintech.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast