best location for new gas boiler that doesn't need chimney

i'm about to pick a contractor for my new modcon gas boiler, and to this point, not one suggested relocating the boiler to the outside wall where the new gas line will come in, as opposed to where the old oil boiler was. if the new boiler is installed where the old unit was, we'd have to run the pvc piping about 40 feet to the only outside wall where the exhaust and intake can be placed. it just seems to be easier, but copper pipe for 3 heat zones will have to be relocated along with the boiler, which is more costly than pvc. or we could use pex to bring the old lines to the new boiler, which won't be as expensive. afterall, what reason do we need to be near the original spot if we're not using the old chimney?

The flue pipe must be at least 48" from the gas meter. So it may not be as easy to vent as you might think.

Take larger pex then you think, to get the same flow as copper.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Pex looks like poop.
    Also if your system was running properly with the piping the way it was why change it. Flow is determined by the sizing on the piping and pump.
    For instance if a 90 degree angle has the same resistance as 10 feet of pipe changing it could change your flow.
    Also as an example, if you can maintain flow to two 1/2 inch pipes with one , one inch pipe ,adding on may not be advisable.

These arent meant to be literal but you get the picture.
    Not to mention pump curves , and a crap load of math involved to do it properly.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

considering my present baseboard system was run by an old oil fired steel boiler, would the additional run needed to relocate the new modcon boiler help in reducing the return temps, which would help the boiler to achieve max efficiency by condensing?

Not really.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Not really.
    ok, but isn't baseboard added to a system for that very reason? we can definitely locate the boiler on the outside wall, which would be about 40' from where it is now. would adding copper pipe effect the boiler's proper operation? is there some way to do this without impacting the proper operation of the boiler? since new equipment will be used, can we size the system and circulators to compensate for this change?

Baseboard is thinner then cooper pipe. And of course has aluminum fins to help remove heat.
    So you can't compare copper pipe to baseboard.

Sure. You can use proper sized copper, and increase circ size if needed.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by dubluv View Post
    ok, but isn't baseboard added to a system for that very reason? we can definitely locate the boiler on the outside wall, which would be about 40' from where it is now. would adding copper pipe effect the boiler's proper operation? is there some way to do this without impacting the proper operation of the boiler? since new equipment will be used, can we size the system and circulators to compensate for this change?
    If you are heck bent on moving the boiler, just about anything can be done, just expect to get your way at your expense.

Boiler location

[QUOTE=dubluv;3287812]i'm about to pick a contractor for my new modcon gas boiler, and to this point, not one suggested relocating the boiler to the outside wall where the new gas line will come in, as opposed to where the old oil boiler was. if the new boiler is installed where the old unit was, we'd have to run the pvc piping about 40 feet to the only outside wall where the exhaust and intake can be placed.

Did you mention that you want the boiler located in a different area?? Most people have an area where there boiler goes and that is it. When you go to install new equipment you are installing it in the same area as the old equipment and I really don't think you can fault any contractor for not suggesting to move you boiler 40'.

Honestly, If I were you I would tell your contractor that you would like to put the boiler in a different location and see what their thoughts are. 40' is a fair distance to relocate and the associated piping and circ differences may or may not change the cost of your install considerably.

we could actually connect the return and supply of one zone, since its right above where the new location would be, so only 2 zones would be longer in length. i'm not heck bent on moving the boiler, but it would make a neater install and i've got the space on that outside wall. i will however, not make it an issue, since i want the efficiency to be first priority. i'd just hate to buy this type of boiler, only find that my forced hot water system won't allow it to condense enough for maximum efficiency. i realize that its a compromise, but i'd like to find out if adding some extra baseboard would make it work better. any feelings about that?

If you add the extra baseboard in all the rooms you currently heat. It can help.
    Contractor locator map

It would also change the load.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    It would also change the load.
    Not if he's just adding them to rooms that already have baseboard in them.
    Contractor locator map