Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lennox ECM vs. Trane variable speed blowers

I am having my 22 year old Rheem heat pump replaced. After meeting with numerous local firms and reviewing their quotes I have narrowed my selection of quotes/equipment down to Lennox and Trane. One primary difference seems to be the Lennox quotes are recommending an ECM blower and the Trane quotes recommending variable speed blowers. I've been advised that the variable speed blowers have additional features that make them preferred over ECM. (For space reasons I am limited to certain dimensions of blower units).

The recommended equipment seem similar (to me) in quality and size:

Trane: 2.5 ton XL15i heat pump w/ 4TEE3F31 variable speed blower;
    Lennox: 2.5 ton XP14 heat pump w/ CBX27UH030 ECM air handler;

Does the variable speed blower offer enough additional capabilities to be the decision maker between these two configurations?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyclifton View Post
    Trane: 2.5 ton XL15i heat pump w/ 4TEE3F31 variable speed blower;
    Lennox: 2.5 ton XP14 heat pump w/ CBX27UH030 ECM air handler;
    Trane 4TWX5030 matched with 4TEE3F31
    AHRI Reference# 1383563.
    30,000 btu cooling, 14.5 SEER, 12.3 EER, 8.8 HSPF, 30,400 btu heating at 47F, 18,200 btu heating at 17F.

Lennox XP14-030-230 matched with CBX27UH030
    AHRI Reference# 1292342.
    28,600 btu cooling, 15 SEER, 12.5 EER, 8.5 HSPF, 27,800 btu heating at 47F, 16,600 btu heating at 17F.

The Trane has better btu output numbers.

The Lennox qualifies for the $1500 Fed Tax Rebate (15 SEER, 12.5 EER, 8.5 HSPF. All 3 must be met). The Trane does not qualify.

Good luck.

Just so you are aware, Lennox's variable speed air handler that would mate with the XP14-030 are NOT taller than the CBX27UH-030 you've been quoted. But the system only qualifies for the $1500 tax credit if you opt for the CBX27 and not the variable speed, if the tax credit matters to you.

Also Trane has another air handler that's less than 1 inch taller than the Lennox and qualifies you for the tax credit (4TEE3F40B1) with 13 EER/16 SEER/9 HSPF. Hopefully you're not that tight on space.

Guess I'm still confused as to whether the Lennox ECM is on par with the Trane variable speed, performance wise.

The X13 ECM is NOT on the same level as a variable speed ECM.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

what is the X13?

Its a ECM motor.
    It is more efficient then a regular blower. But, it is not a variable speed motor.
    Contractor locator map

So the CBX27UH030 ECM air handler is also an X13?

Yes, the CBX27UH uses the X13. It's not a bad air handler by any means and is commonly used, but the variable speed logic has its benefits for best airflow and potential humidity control if configured properly (dip switches on the control board can set ramp-up profiles to remove humidity upon start-up; thermostats can also control blower speed for dehumidification on demand).

Not familar with Lennox units to tell yoou which ones have which motors.
    Contractor locator map

Great info, folks!

Is the difference in btu output significant enough to be the decision maker? or qualifying for the tax credit? I just don't know how much better those Trane numbers are over the Lennox.

Should I ask my Lennox dealer to requote me for the right variable speed blower, or am I better off keeping the ECM model and retaining the fed. tax credit?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyclifton View Post
    Should I ask my Lennox dealer to requote me for the right variable speed blower, or am I better off keeping the ECM model and retaining the fed. tax credit?
    Both. See if Lennox has a variable speed blower that meets the Fed Tax Rebate for a heat pump (15 SEER, 12.5 EER, 8.5 HSPF).

Post the model numbers that they give you and we'll look up the SEER/EER/HSPF and btu's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast