+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ECM motor test equipment

Post Likes

ECM motor test equipment

We install Carrier and Goodman units not to many with ECM motors im guessing we have about 40 out there the oldest being around 4 years old now. Me and the other service tech have no real testing equipment for these motors and we had a board go bad on a Carrier furnace not that long ago, which was causing the motor to move to slow resulting in a code 41. We got a simulator from Carrier which can plug into 3 of there board models which is how we determined the board was bad on the unit. We never had any problems with ECM motors so we never got any tools for them but we new that one day we would and i guess that day is now. I was wondering how many different models and makers of blower and inducer ECM motors are there out there for residential HVAC application, and do the testers (such as the zebra variable speed) cover most if not all of them. Basically what tools do you guys use and does it do the job required. I prefer not to have to carry mutiple instuments to cover different models of motors and I dont mind paying the cash to get something good. Its my understanding that there is not really alot of different ECM blower motor designs but basically until now we never really cared to look around. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by goodguyu69 View Post
    We install Carrier and Goodman units not to many with ECM motors im guessing we have about 40 out there the oldest being around 4 years old now. Me and the other service tech have no real testing equipment for these motors and we had a board go bad on a Carrier furnace not that long ago, which was causing the motor to move to slow resulting in a code 41. We got a simulator from Carrier which can plug into 3 of there board models which is how we determined the board was bad on the unit. We never had any problems with ECM motors so we never got any tools for them but we new that one day we would and i guess that day is now. I was wondering how many different models and makers of blower and inducer ECM motors are there out there for residential HVAC application, and do the testers (such as the zebra variable speed) cover most if not all of them. Basically what tools do you guys use and does it do the job required. I prefer not to have to carry mutiple instuments to cover different models of motors and I dont mind paying the cash to get something good. Its my understanding that there is not really alot of different ECM blower motor designs but basically until now we never really cared to look around. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks

ahh the ecm motors huh....

there cake if you have 2 things lol

go to thedealertoolbox.com
    order the tekmate and the little silver guide.

that should give you everything you need to know.
    i have that carrier one its a little bit of a pain compared to the tekmate.

FYI how the texmae works is it sends a signal to the motor to get it to run. this was you can rule out the motor/ module from the board. THis is right from GE.

good luck
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    not again!!!

does anyone ever do a search before the post????
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    This thread which ive already read mostly refers to the zebra which ive looked into which says its works on several models of ECM motor but it doesnt work on all particualarly older models. My question was more directed at do the testers you guys use cover most of the models and makes of ECM motors and opinions on them whatever brand they may be. Guess i shoulda posted it in a old thread but figured no one would look at my question if i did. Thanks pascone.

Post Likes
    This thread which ive already read mostly refers to the zebra which ive looked into which says its works on several models of ECM motor but it doesnt work on all particualarly older models. My question was more directed at do the testers you guys use cover most of the models and makes of ECM motors and opinions on them whatever brand they may be. Guess i shoulda posted it in a old thread but figured no one would look at my question if i did. Thanks pascone.
    within that thread is three more

Post Likes
    Get the tek-mate it is the way to go and they give you the adapter for the xc 13 or ecm 3.0 motors for free just go to this link and it will answer all your questions.

http://www.thedealertoolbox.com/service.php
    What cant be done correctly shouldn't be done at all

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in