Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    no way to know from a pic if the unit is on its own circuit but if that particular wall outlet is on its own circuit then a standard 110v whip is allowed from what i know as ive seen it inthe code somwwhere when a two ganged outlet is required within x mount of feet from unit.ive seen hundreds done like this here,just not all hard wired but on their own circuit for sure..

Cool Just learned somthing new

Up here it is a big no no but things are done different in other parts of the country. Do they require a smoke/co detector to be installed when a new furnace is installed? It is required here just wondering.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

you know ^^ ive never heard of that code unless its new ,ill call my local code enforcement and ask them if there are any new codes i am not aware of but No i dont think so but a smoke detector is required in all homes anyway but not a new one and not a combo one that im aware of..

brings up a good point maybe ill sell them anyway as it would be safer and can make a little money off it..

Update:

Some asked if the unit was on its own circuit. It is.

I called the company that did the install and they agreed the drain should be different. They came to the same conclusion as acguytx and moved the cuttoff switch right off the overflow outlet. They also informed me there is a trap in place (something called a J trap) but its under the platform the unit sits on. The drain pipe no longer has an open top, although I'm not clear if there may be a raised opening someplace after the J trap. I'm not concerned about loss of conditioned air since that would be in the living area.

For the other horizontal unit in the crawlspace below the roof, they did add an extension to raise where the opening in the drain was but there is still an opening and according to them that is unavoidable and as many said here, insignificant.

IMO you plug in a refrigerator. You hard wire a furnace on a dedicated circuit with an SSU.

Conditioned air going out through drain

Basically all the drain shall have U trap so that the water seal is maintained to prevent cold air going out as well as outside air coming inside.

Height of U trap shall be slightly more than fan static pressure i.e. 50 mm is static the U trap shall be with 60 mm height.

Also it is important to provide vent to pick up fresh air to dilute the Carbon di oxide inside, as most of the splits / window air conditioners does not have the fresh air provision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12