Trane XL15i Sound Levels - where to find?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3

    Trane XL15i Sound Levels - where to find?

    We're considering two Trane XL15i heat pumps (3ton & 2ton, separate variable speed air handler) to replace two 1992 era Ruud SEER10 units that aren't working so well. We can't seem to find sound level specs on the web for the Trane. We've read multiple posts on this forum regarding piston vs scroll and noise and now we're somewhat concerned that the Trane may be louder. I would assume the specs would be the first starting point. Anyone happen to know where we can find these for the XL15i? (We haven't asked the company who's quoting the job yet.) These units are along a wall that adjoins our master bedroom. Since these Trane units appear to have a solid top, we're wondering if that will direct more sound towards the wall. I would think so. The old RUUD systems are pretty noisy in the winter, not so much in the summer. We live in East Tennessee, slightly longer cooling season, but not by much.

    We have a friend who has Carrier (not the Infinity series, but below that) and those units are very quiet. I think he has the specs for those units so perhaps we can compare the specs and we'll sort of know what to expect.

    And another reason we're asking is that we haven't made up our mind to go with Trane just yet. We like the local company that carries Trane and everything I read on here says the install is the most important aspect. However, if it keeps me awake at night.....

    All advice would be appreciated & thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    18
    I had a Trane (13i) installed 6 years ago and I can tell you they are louder than similar units from other makes by about 8-10db (irritating 75-80db). And as a bonus you get a thump every time the compressor stops.
    So even at half the price of other makes I will not consider another Trane or A.S again!
    .


    Quote Originally Posted by JD Clampett View Post
    We're considering two Trane XL15i heat pumps (3ton & 2ton, separate variable speed air handler) to replace two 1992 era Ruud SEER10 units that aren't working so well. We can't seem to find sound level specs on the web for the Trane. We've read multiple posts on this forum regarding piston vs scroll and noise and now we're somewhat concerned that the Trane may be louder. I would assume the specs would be the first starting point. Anyone happen to know where we can find these for the XL15i? (We haven't asked the company who's quoting the job yet.) These units are along a wall that adjoins our master bedroom. Since these Trane units appear to have a solid top, we're wondering if that will direct more sound towards the wall. I would think so. The old RUUD systems are pretty noisy in the winter, not so much in the summer. We live in East Tennessee, slightly longer cooling season, but not by much.

    We have a friend who has Carrier (not the Infinity series, but below that) and those units are very quiet. I think he has the specs for those units so perhaps we can compare the specs and we'll sort of know what to expect.

    And another reason we're asking is that we haven't made up our mind to go with Trane just yet. We like the local company that carries Trane and everything I read on here says the install is the most important aspect. However, if it keeps me awake at night.....

    All advice would be appreciated & thanks in advance!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,699
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    I had a Trane installed 6 years ago and I can tell you they are louder than similar units from other makes by about 8-10db (irritating 75-80db). And as a bonus you get a thump every time the compressor stops.
    So even at half the price of other makes I will not consider another Trane or A.S again!
    .
    Was your Trane a 15i????

    If not, what model is it.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Upstate, SC
    Posts
    2,919
    Trane's XL product line is quiet, but so is all the other brands top line, if properly installed. I have Lennox XP19's in my own home and the units are very quiet. My neighbor has a Carrier Infinity that is very quiet too. I think I read somewhere that Rheem is claiming to have the quietest condensing unit on the market, but by only 1 db. I don't have the actual sound ratings of these units here at home, but I can post the sound levels for most of them when I get to the office.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,368
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    I had a Trane installed 6 years ago and I can tell you they are louder than similar units from other makes by about 8-10db (irritating 75-80db). And as a bonus you get a thump every time the compressor stops.
    So even at half the price of other makes I will not consider another Trane or A.S again!
    .
    So incorrect. That means most new units on the market are 65-70 dBa, which is far from true.

    To the OP:

    2 ton- 71 dBa
    3 ton- 71 dBa
    (very quiet units that you shouldn't even notice running; most new units on the market are fairly quiet relatively speaking)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the opinions and information. It's interesting that Rheem is mentioned as quieter (although only by 1db). The units we have are Ruud and I've been told they are the same thing. Of course, the newer ones may be quieter than our old ones. There may not really be anything we can do since the units are already located next to the bedroom. Again, thanks for the advice!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    So incorrect. That means most new units on the market are 65-70 dBa, which is far from true.

    To the OP:

    2 ton- 71 dBa
    3 ton- 71 dBa
    (very quiet units that you shouldn't even notice running; most new units on the market are fairly quiet relatively speaking)

    As they get older they get louder: i am not talking about the first 100 days or so!



    Advertised sound level “as low as 67 dB” one typical a/c” low as 72 dB” low as 69 dB”

    Actual dB range – ARI 207 @ 95F:

    Lennox HSX15: 67-71 dB.... Carrier 38TXA: 70-78 dB ... Trane 13XLi: 74-78 dB... York Affinity3S: 69-72dB
    .

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14

    Noise levels for heat pumps

    Here is a great site that lets you compare different sound levels.

    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...s/decible4.swf

    I am also looking for a quiet heat pump because it will be only 12 feet from our neighbours. I can't stand noise either, so if noise is an issue we will look for another form or heating. We are in southwestern British Columbia which is Canada's mildest climate and we don't need air conditioning in summer.

    We had a quote from Lennox who claim to have the most quiet system: XP15 is rated at 63 DB. The Trane guy told us that in winter when the Lennox goes into defrost mode it will be much louder, but I don't know if I believe him. I note that many of the other manufacturers web sites do not list their sound levels, which makes me suspicious.

    http://www.lennox.com/products/list.asp?type=1

    The cost with taxes for the Lennox is 10,000 (minus 2,000 government grants) so it's a big decision.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mechanicsburg PA
    Posts
    216
    r410a heat pumps seem to be louder than r22 when initiating and terminating defrost. trane's solution with some xl15i models is to shut down the comp when initiating, and start the vs outdoor fan a few seconds before terminating. this makes the xl15i substantially quieter than the xl14i.
    Arizona dreaming....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Keokuk, IA
    Posts
    5,520
    Keep in mind that how the unit is installed and the orientation of your home will affect performance. So mounted up on snow feet for example, a XL15i compressor will be a good 8" off the ground and the fan is now about 36" off the ground. Most homes have the subfloor abotu 2' off hte ground. So a big tall Trane XL series may sound much louder than a shorter, wider carrier unit or others.

    I'm impressed how quiet my XL16i is when I'm outside around the corner of my house and my nighbors say they never hear it even with their windows open. BUT...bit BUT... it's noticeable form my bedroom, where it's mounted outside hte same wall as our bed sits.


    With any unit, conside the installed location, and if needed, mount the unit an extra 1' further from the house or a little lower if possible to reduce noise.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Keokuk, IA
    Posts
    5,520
    Quote Originally Posted by jjou812 View Post
    r410a heat pumps seem to be louder than r22 when initiating and terminating defrost. trane's solution with some xl15i models is to shut down the comp when initiating, and start the vs outdoor fan a few seconds before terminating. this makes the xl15i substantially quieter than the xl14i.

    It's still makes some ...ummm... interesting noses of the reversing valve hasn't been stroked recently. IN the "shoulder season" when I'm using heat and cool in the same 24 hour period, the first tiem the reversing valve moves one way or the other, it groans pretty good. Hopefully that's normal.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the information on the sound levels. Well, we considered several different brands (Trane, Carrier, Lennox, etc.) and in the end we went with the Trane. We did this primarily because several of our neighbors have Trane units and their experience with the installer (and our experience from previous repairs to our old units) was very positive. As for the noise, I'm afraid I'll have an issue regardless because the units are right outside our bedroom wall. They'll possibly be a little quieter than our old Ruud units (hopefully). I will absolutely take the advice of having them place the units away from the wall further than the existing units. Hopefully that will help some.

    Again, thanks to everyone for the advice.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Keokuk, IA
    Posts
    5,520
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Clampett View Post
    I will absolutely take the advice of having them place the units away from the wall further than the existing units. Hopefully that will help some.

    .
    Conventional thinking by most homeowners is to put them close the wall so its' less noticeable, had a shorter lineset and possibly some weather protection. Most manuals recommend at least 12", but with the higher end Tranes, the air is blown more horizontally off the top, and with most siding, some of hte air gets redirected back through the unit. I'd put it at least 24" away from the house personally. I had some wiggle room with the way my lineset was run, and moved it another 6" further from my house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event