Page 8 of 373 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151858108 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm or not?

A war story and what I learned from it

Diceman:

I have not read the whole thread so I might me killing the horse again but lemme take a minute to tell a war story and what I learned form it. I think it is worth the read for anyone considering carrying a weapon.

I was a Kid of about 18ish when I was working my way thru college as a laborer. I shoveled mud 8 hrs a day next to a Vietnam veteran named Zeke. One day we had a disgrunted customer come in. He was carring a chainsaw and bound and determined to cut down some $500 trees we had for sale. The lady owner jumped between chainsaw and the trees. I jumped between the chainsaw and her.

I played with this guy and his running chain saw for about 10-15 min (literaly) till he got past me, hacked a tree and left. Now, I don't know if you have been in a life or death situation for 10 minutes but it is a LOOOONG time.

Now old Zeke who had a few years on me and the experiences in Vietnam did nothing. When it was over I asked why he did not help me out. He put his arm around me and walked me back to the dirt pile...

He said "Homey, was you gonna kill that man?"

I replied "No Zeke, I just wanted to chase him off."

Zeke continued "Homey, that's what you don't understand. That M#$%^& F^%$#(* was gonna kill you. If you wasn't gonna kill him, leave him alone."

He continued to explain to me I was in a "Kill or be killed" situation. I would not have harmed the guy if I could have. Zeke knew that. The guy woulda cut me up and I not been quick. He tried many times.

Zeke drove the point home by saying "When you in that situation you gotta decide. 'Is it him or Me?' cuz one of you is gonna die. You gotta decide who."

Though it was a couple of decades ago the words are still burned into my brain.

That day changed my life forever. I now sometimes carry a 9 myself. I KNOW that if I am in a situation where I CAN NOT get out of it any other way I will not hesitate to pull the trigger. My gun will NEVER be used against be becasue I tried to reason with a nut case and he yanked it away.

Luckily I learned this lesson without major injury or death. My advice to you or anyone considering carrying a weapon... (remember skipped to end of thread)

DECIDED BEFORE YOU CARRY IT if you have the ability to use it. If there is a doubt, leave it home.

If you are ever in the situation, think fast, make the best decision you can remembering that it is the biggest one you will ever make in your life.

Let's hope you never have to make it.

Paul

Good story Paul but did you ever think of Zeke was being a little chicken sh*t. I mean being a vet and letting that guy swing a chain saw at you and a lady and stepping back.

He could of dropped the guy and then gave you the fatherly advice.

What he told you would of not made much sense if you had one of your arms hacked off. He may have only shoveled mud in Vietnam also. His actions were definitely not part of defense training.

Talking 9mm work great on an apple

This is a much better thread than that other one. The 9mm was picked up by the military because it penetrates so well. In an all out assualt (army vs. army) you can fire a 9mm (full jacketed) and it will go through a guy and hit the guy behind him . Wounding a man in the military is very important since it takes two to carry him out. In civilian life I would only carry a 9mm if it had a low velocity hollow point bullet because penetration is not what you want. You want all the energy to be utilized on the target. My favorite weapon I own is a Browning HI-Power E-Nickel that is the most dependable pistol I have ever owned. But for carry purposes I have gone to the 40 SW , but the best anti personell bullet is the .45 cal. That is what I now carry. Since Colt came out with the Colt .45 cal Defender, It is very small and packs a lot of punch. God help me if I ever have to pull it out and use it. If a person carries he has to be willing to suffer the consequences of that fact. And if you are going to carry you had better be able to hit what you aim at.
    May God watch out for all of us.

Wink Carrying

If anyone is the slightest bit interested in buying a pistol(9mm or .40), check out the Kahr line. I bought a Kahr P9 and it is the best pistol I have ever owned. Less than 18oz.(with clip unloaded) and highly concealable. Check out Kahr.com

Sorry if this sounds like a commercial, I am just highly pleased and I wanted to pass it along.

Originally posted by k johnson
    The 9mm was picked up by the military because it penetrates so well.

In an all out assualt (army vs. army) you can fire a 9mm (full jacketed) and it will go through a guy and hit the guy behind him . Wounding a man in the military is very important since it takes two to carry him out. In civilian life I would only carry a 9mm if it had a low velocity hollow point bullet because penetration is not what you want. You want all the energy to be utilized on the target.

KJ EXCELLENT point. Most people think that the greater the FPS the better. WRONG! Good Advice.

And James.... Naaaaa You gotta know Zeke, he was cool under fire and knew the rules of engagement. Guess he learned that last one the hard way if you know what I mean.

Airventor

yo

that is one reason why mine is loaded with hollow points.
    God help me if I have to use it, but God help the other guy more.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Thumbs up Just read about a new caliber

It is a .357 Sig, according to the ballistics it is a good one. A .40 S&W necked down to a 9mm. Texas Rangers have started carrying it along with several of the police forces in our area.

Thumbs up hey guys

we gotta keep this thread going. That computer one is catching up. It has way more posts, but this still leads in the views catagory. I guess gun owners are the quiet type. Computer geeks just love to ramble on, huh?

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Question

Ok,
    Question

Which Caliber gives the most people the dirt nap?

I vote 9mm

Many cops use it. Gang members love it. Rappers sing about it. Those three catagories alone, probably account for most of the "dirt naps." Unless you get into war and military use. Then I guess whatever is in a M-16, M-1 or AK47?

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Choose your weapon.

Nope, your wrong Dice.
    That looks like some kind of enema thing there Rod.

Congrats. on your 5th page Dice.
    Maybe you should get ICE CREAM MAN over here to argue why muzzle loaders are the best.

it's a leak detector...

Page 8 of 373 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151858108 ... LastLast