Page 310 of 373 FirstFirst ... 210260300303304305306307308309310311312313314315316317320360 ... LastLast
Results 4,018 to 4,030 of 4844

Thread: 9mm or not?

funny how this was not mentioned during the election cycle.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

Bush signs long-stalled gun-control legislation
    BY CAROL EISENBERG | carol.eisenberg@newsday.com

January 9, 2008

WASHINGTON - President George W. Bush signed the nation's first new gun-control legislation in 14 years yesterday to help keep guns out of the hands of the dangerously mentally ill, and Rep. Carolyn McCarthy immediately announced she would take her crusade to the next step.

This time, she and others want to close the so-called "gun show loophole" that allows some dealers to sell firearms without background checks.

The Mineola Democrat, elected on a platform of gun control after her husband was slain in 1993 by a gunman on the Long Island Rail Road, said she hopes her next effort doesn't take as long.

It was more than five years ago that she and Democratic New York Sen. Charles Schumer introduced bills to keep guns out of the hands of mentally ill people after the double slaying of a priest and a parishioner inside a Lynbrook church.

After years of being stalled in the Senate, the bill gained momentum in the spring after Virginia Tech student Seung-Hui Cho mowed down 32 people with two recently purchased guns - even though a judge's finding that he was "a danger to himself" should have disqualified him from buying weapons. Cho killed himself after the rampage. In the Long Island case, the gunman also was able to purchase firearms despite his diagnosis as a paranoid schizophrenic.

The law will earmark up to $250 million a year to states and state courts to automate records on mentally ill people and forward the information to the FBI for inclusion in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. That information will be used to disallow from buying a gun anyone who is seriously mentally ill, a criminal or who has a restraining order against them for domestic violence.

Schumer, who championed the bill's passage in the Senate, said that when he and McCarthy met with parishioners at Our Lady of Peace Church after that shooting, "no one imagined it would take five years."

"Had it become law earlier," he added, "it may well have saved the lives" of 32 students at Virginia Tech.

Schumer agreed that the next item on the gun-control agenda would be to require background checks in every gun sale, but predicted that would be harder to get passed because of opposition by the National Rifle As#####ion. The law signed yesterday, in contrast, had NRA support.

Next target: gun-show sales

The next item on the gun-control agenda is a bill that would require background checks for all firearms purchased at an estimated 4,000 yearly gun shows, flea markets and swap meets. While federally licensed firearms dealers are required to do criminal background checks when they sell guns at these events, unlicensed individuals who set up tables right next to them are exempt in most states. They account for a quarter to a half of all gun-show vendors and are sought out by criminals who want to buy guns with no questions asked, law enforcement officials say. The bill was introduced Jan. 4, 2007, by Rep. Michael Castle (R-Del.), with Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-Mineola) as an original co-sponsor.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________

now that Hillery won a vote or 2 the Dems. smell Blood.

watch out.

Dave

I may be one of the few who have never posted on this thread or read past the first page. So now I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by mallron View Post
    I may be one of the few who have never posted on this thread or read past the first page. So now I'm in.
    Your lucky day.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    Except for law enforcement officers, I'm not in favor of anybody packing concealed weapons. Collect,hunt,target shoot,protect your home all you want just don't carry them around me. Talk about opening up a can of worms.
    i dont have a concealed weapons permit so when i carry a gun it is in the open and some dont like it and thats to bad. if they dont like it they can leave just the same as i can if i dont approve of something.
    i only hunt and target shoot
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

greenair Needs to move to England

[QUOTE=geerair;19045] Talk about opening up a can of worms.[/QUOTE (Don't forget,this was posted years ago) Not a can of worms.The laws are the laws.I'm responsible for the bullets that leave my firearm.Peroid,end of discussion.Last I knew police officers put their pants on one leg at a time,same as you or I.Most LEO's embrace the public carring concealed,belive it or not.

Has anyone learned anything here ?

We're only up to page 310.After page 500 then people might learn something.

I've learned how Police officers put there pants on. myself I do both pant legs at once, saves time in the morning.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

I've hung out at my local range every day for about two years . In that time, I got to see first hand how some of our police officers handle and care for their weapons.Folks,it ain't a pretty sight.Some only shoot on a yearly basis.Only because it's manditory.Ever seen a piece of pizza in the barrel of a S&W revolver? I have.This is from someone you think would know how important their weapon is.The only people to ever get booted from a traning class was a couple of cops.The teacher was one of Houstons own P.D. firearms instructors.So don't get a warm fuzzy feiling thinking just beacause someone is a LEO.We have hacks in the HVAC field.The police department has some dangerous people with guns.

After seeing the "ON TOPIC" thread raise its ugly head once again, I was wondering if the "9mm" thread was alive and well.

Sure enough I found it in tucked away in the back room.

As long as someone revived this topic:

Page 310 of 373 FirstFirst ... 210260300303304305306307308309310311312313314315316317320360 ... LastLast