manitowoc Qy0424a help

I looked at a manitowoc ice Q model ice machine on saturday. I don't work on many of these, so I am really rusty. Have been to their class twice and have all the service books.
    Arrive on call, find bin empty, all covers off, turned off at switch. I switch unit on, no safety code. Put in clean mode, water pump having trouble starting, turning real slow. remove pump, spin shaft till free, put back together, pump now working, think to myself, that was easy, will order pump, should work till then. Throw the thing in ice mode, fill valve energizes, pump comes on, but no compressor (board not closing contactor). Clean light on board stays lit. Checked everything in service manual, primary voltage,high pressure cut out, fuses, bin switch, toggle switch. When testing toggle switch, all is OK except 67 to 69 on switch should be open when in ice mode, and they are closed. Anybody ever seen this happen?, were the symptoms same as mine? I have ordered a switch, and a board also just in case, will be in tomorrow, but I don't like the fact that I am unsure of myself. After I left the job, I realized that I should have removed the switch from the circuit and jumped out 67 to 68 and I will when I get there, but too late at this point.
    Anybody have any ideas?

Once you switch the Q machine into the clean position, it will stay in the clean mode for 25 minutes, no matter if you switch back to ice or off. 10 minutes of cleaning followed by 6 rinse cycles. So that might be your problem, you didn't wait the 25 min. That would give you the clean light and no compressor.

A good tip I picked up a little while back- If you want to get out of the clean cycle and not wait the 25 minutes, switch from OFF to ICE, 4 times slowly. That will clear you out of the cleaning cycle. Info that's not in the Service Tech Handbook.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Thanks Baub. I wondered why the designers wanted to punish the techs. I understand it is for the auto clean option, but they should give us a way to cancel the clean cycle.

No way

You trouble shot an ice machine in the clean mode. Then ordered a board? Ok, so can we have an update?

I have killed all power to the machine, and that ended the clean cycle. Usually I will try clean cycle just to test the pump. Done this for years, but then Manitowoc had to put a penalty on this, and one more thing to test your brain, when their problem prone ice machines are broke.

Quote Originally Posted by baub View Post
    Once you switch the Q machine into the clean position, it will stay in the clean mode for 25 minutes, no matter if you switch back to ice or off. 10 minutes of cleaning followed by 6 rinse cycles. So that might be your problem, you didn't wait the 25 min. That would give you the clean light and no compressor.

A good tip I picked up a little while back- If you want to get out of the clean cycle and not wait the 25 minutes, switch from OFF to ICE, 4 times slowly. That will clear you out of the cleaning cycle. Info that's not in the Service Tech Handbook.
    thanks for the tip

If you have an AuCS cleaner installed and you get caught in clean the toggle switch trick will only skip recirculation part of the clean
    but your stuck with the rinse cycles and no tricks out

I think the "stuck" in clean feature was added so you have an option of cleaning your probes and whatever else on a light cleaning then initiate a clean cycle.

After you're "stuck" in clean the toggle can by switched back to ice and the unit will fire back up when the machine is through cleaning and rinsing so in the meantime you could button it back up and move on to the next one if you feel lucky
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”