Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrier vs Am Std Unit Question

Post Likes
    Must be a difference in construction methods or quality in Florida. There are no problems such as this in other parts of the country. No difference between a joist space and a duct that hasn't been sealed at every joint.

Return chases should only be in interior walls, so where would any leakage wind up coming from; another interior space. Just makes no difference.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    True,no different then an unsealed duct.Point is the ducts should be sealed.

Wall returns can pull air from attic or crawl,particilarly when added to an existing structure.

Check some wall returns with a mirror and a flashlight,you'll see the dust pulled in along the edges of 2X4's.

When we Aeroseal a house with wall retuns it takes extra time to seal these leaks,compared to ducts.

Aeroseal contractors in the north report major air leakage from panned,and walll returns.

Post Likes
    Y'all southerners best leave our Yankee typical construction practices alone, ya hear?
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes

Carrier 24ANA1 Unit installed - some answers and some Questions !

OK - The return vents that I am looking at are 14 x 14's and will be in the ceiling (somewhat access limited with the re-exisiting structure). The supply side vents are on the wall near the top in each room. I am assuming that the returns even in the ceiling would help with the air flow. Ideally I would like them opposite the supplies but for a situation where the AC is the primary use item (Austin Texas gets HOT) I think that pulling the hot air back in from the top would be OK. In the winter this will not be ideal but thankfully winters are short !

The 24ANA1 is the scroll compressor the 24ANA7 is indeed a recip compressor. Check the website - it is crystal clear http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...infinity.shtml

The unit was installed without the returns (scheduling snafu). I am still contemplating having them put in the returns in the bedrooms to improve airflow with the doors closed. I went with the 24ANA1 scroll compressor. I am not sure what Carrier coil I got on this puppy but I did get the extended 10 year parts / labor just in case. If there is a way to determine the coil type from carrier let me know. I was surprised how small the furnace and coil were on this unit. Thankfully they were not as large as the condensor !

The Carrier 24ANA1 unit is great. I am very happy with the variable speed fan in the bedrooms. The low speed fan and de-humidify / low AC mode is very quite and is almost un-detectable. Outside the condensor is HUGE ! If you are thinking of this unit make sure you have lots of space outside for this. The outside unit is not noisy but not silent. Not sure if the scroll is really any quieter than the recip ? Certainly quieter than the old TRANE XLE 1100 it sits next to (Downstairs unit is still going strong). The scroll SEER and EER where a bit higher on the scroll and I figured to go with the unit that represented the best efficiency and newest tech.

Dave in Austin

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Return would be best located in the ceiling,close to the same wall the supply is on,keep it 3 feet away from the supply or more,not directly opposite the supply..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in