Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Subway yeast problem

looking for any exta input for a Subway I service that has extreme yeast problem. I have 7 stores I service and this one in particular is smaller than the others and does more volume of bread. I can clean the machine in and out and yeast sludge will develop in water pan within a month clogging pump. This is Manitwoc above dispenser unit, I have tried Manitwocs bags, tried Scotsmans Bullet and nothing makes much improvement. Maybe need exhaust over ovens??? If anyone has a good formula it would b appreciated. Thanks

do you have a water filter that removes the chlorine? The chlorine is needed to kill the yeast. They have filters now that don't have the carbon ,that is responsible for removing the chlorine.

For What It's Worth...

I haven't tried these gizmos but since nothing else besides monthly cleaning and sanitizing works, it's probably worth a shot:

Ozone Generator: http://www.ecologicintl.com.au/files...Ice%20spec.pdf

Icemaker UV Light: http://www.iceuv.com/

Has anyone had any experiences with this approach?

I have noticed ice machines on water softners build up lots of "gunk". Might try getting baack on municipal water supply with a particle filter. Its probably easier to deal with the scale once every 6 months than yeast every couple of weeks..

I wonder if the yeasty ice is why a Sprite from Subway tastes better than anywhere else?

i have one of those ozone things on a customers ice machine (he's a big time baker) and the red stuff is still there..

These are on Subway filter systems which according to Subway they are the best set up available????

I have 4 Subways I take care You have to get rid of the carbon filter in the water system, (The soda guys won't like it very much).That will make it manageable. Plus a little bleach water in a sprayer will clean the machine up nicely. I still have to tare mine down all the way four times a year..

Thats what I am saying is to get the ice machine back on city water. Lots of chlorine is good for the yeast. Not for the evap so much.

I would rather eat chlorinated scale than multi colored yeast.

may be old news

When I worked on Subways all the ice makers had the Manitowac cleaning systems on them. I agree about straight city water and leaving the chlorine in it.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Very well i agree will try city water and go from there, maybe a uv light the work so well in other areas. Thanks

I have the same problem in a Subway but I believe the culprit is iron eating bacteria from the well. I believe this is so because I have run across other ice machines that have nothing to do with subway or yeast that have the slime in them. All are on well water with softeners (most). One right down the road from the subway in a burger king that has a huge softener that has duel resin tanks that provides 100% soft water does not have the slime problem but has a bad scale problem even with the softener and expensive filter system. Go figure.

The common element with the slime problem seems to be 1. well water 2. softeners that bypass unsoftened water while re-generating

My money is on some type of chlorinator for the well to get rid of the slime problem.

Anyone else?

tom

I am not sure about well water in restaurants, never seen it but know it is hard to control in a house depending on many variables. My problem is yeast due to this store is smaller and does more volume. They will tell u chorine in the water will combat this but have yet to talk to anyone or hear of a way to combat the extreme cases for a long period of time so i guess cleaning on 3 months is not unheard of. I have other stores that have no slime problem but will get black hard moldy type real bad over time??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast