hvac seer rating on a new house - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Those aren't elevating the compressor, but rather bracing it down per code to protect against high winds/hurricanes.
    Even more of a reason to use better hardware.

EDIT: I wonder whether that's the code around New Orleans? I've never noticed it done. I was planning on securing my new unit against theft, in a similar manner.

EDIT: A couple of years back I'd have A/C guys stopping me frequently in my truck asking how much I'd charge them to build them welded steel platforms for compressors.

hi thebil, do you think spraying rustoleum on those brackets/bolts would work? than replacing them?

Quote Originally Posted by znil78 View Post
    hi thebil, do you think spraying rustoleum on those brackets/bolts would work? than replacing them?
    As I said, the brackets might be okay. It would be much better if you took them off and painted them.

As far as the Tapcons - they have to go. They'll rust pretty quickly within the concrete. I've seen this often, honestly though, in brick or mortar. The principle is the same. And frankly, in the brick and mortar application the secured device is generally always on a vertical surface so there is no sitting water. I switched to using lead shields and galv. lags whenever possible. Painting those Tapcons won't help.

As far as the sheet metal screws go they should be changed to stainless if they are not. First, it will minimize dissimilar metal corrosion. Second, they'll be there for years whereas those zinc-chromate plated screws will start to rust within months and be practically gone in a couple of years.

And before you screw the new stainless screws in - hit the existing hole with a shot of paint. I'd do it.

Finally, this is not something I'd want to call the A/C guys back for. I'd do it myself because although I know it is necessary it's pretty damn anal.
    Last edited by Thebil Illpay; 05-15-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: wrong word -shields not anchors -could confuse the guy

I don't understand what you guys are talking about in regards to supports or brackets holding the compressor. There is not a single picture that even shows the compressor. Aside from that, who cares how carrier mounted it inside the unit, as long as its mounted their and they warranty it, roll with it.

Also, to the person who commented about the lennox next door. Were you saying the ourdoor condenser was loud or their indoor air handler?

I can see ductwork making the air handler louder, but the outdoor condenser louder due to ductwork? I've never run across that.

@thebil thanks, great info. ill do just that after we move in.
    @rhizzlebop the outside lennox unit is whats loud, the carrier outside unit on my house is pretty quiet and does not vibrate at all. the lennox on the other hand vibrates pretty bad especially @the top of the heatpump. well be back for final inspection on the 19th ill try to make a video of both units on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhizzlebop View Post
    I don't understand what you guys are talking about in regards to supports or brackets holding the compressor.
    We're just trolls. We call everything that is contained within the space where the compressor enclosure is 'the compressor.'

Haha, trolls? funny stuff. Ok, you meant those metal anchors on the condenser. Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhizzlebop View Post
    Haha, trolls? funny stuff. Ok, you meant those metal anchors on the condenser. Gotcha.
    Thanks. I henceforth will stop referring to that big whole thing as the compressor and forevermore refer to it properly as 'the condenser.' No bull.

the tsat wire at the outdoor unit looks like crap they should put it in seal tight a dog will chew that wire up in no time

.....or add a transformer to boost that wires voltage up to 480. I promise, no dog will chew through it.

ok....kidding....i mean, technically, i'm telling the truth thatt a dog will not chew it up, so not kidding about that part.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123