Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

hvac seer rating on a new house

hi all, we pruchased a new house and would be closing on it in a few weeks, everything is upto spec except the hvac, its rated only seer13 we are supposed to be getting a seer 14 one, the model of the current one is a carrier 25hbb342a300 heat pump with an fy4anf042 air handler? i spoke with the builder and he said he has no idea what the subcontractor for the ac will do to get it up to seer 14, anyone knows what they will do to get it up to seer14? will they replace everything? or replace either the outside or inside unit to get seer 14? any feedback would be much appreciated, thank you

Best thing to do, in my opinion, is install a variable speed FV4BNF005 air handler in place of the base model FY4ANF042. This would bring you to 14 SEER, 12.1 EER, and 8.3 HSPF.

Obvious thing is to change out the outside unit for a 14 SEER one. It's possible that you could use a different coil or air handler to achieve this but you'd want to see the manufacturers specs for that particular combo to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    Obvious thing is to change out the outside unit for a 14 SEER one. It's possible that you could use a different coil or air handler to achieve this but you'd want to see the manufacturers specs for that particular combo to be sure.
    Problem with that is even a 25HBB442 "14 SEER" isn't going to get over 13 SEER without getting rid of that air handler. So yes, certainly check the combination ratings on whatever component(s) you switch.

Much more critically important than that 1 point SEER increase (on paper) is the quality of the install, the correct matching air handler, ductwork system & airflow.

Home air infiltration & duct systems are where there are huge losses in efficient heating & cooling performance.

On all homes being sold, I wish they would pass codes to require a Manual J, Blower Door tests & Duct Blaster tests with final results recorded for the buyer.

A permanent record would be required for future reference.

That may sound extreme, but as an HVAC Tech, wouldn't it be great to have that info at your finger-tips when servicing or replacing equipment.
    Last edited by udarrell; 05-01-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: deleted an immaterial Q

thanks for the reply guys.

@udarrell i wouldnt have any idea if the install is good at this point, but if it was, and if they replaced it with the 14 seer system, would i be saving a lot more than the 13 seer? would it be an option to just leave the system alone and dont worry about it? i do remember a tech doing some tests a week ago, he had 2 rods, one inserted in the bottom of the air handler and made a hole and inserted one on the duct on top of the air handler and he went outside and connected his laptop to the heat pump?

He might have been checking static pressures.

There are so many variables associated with 'Operating' SEER performance, that what the rated figures on paper indicate might not make that one point difference, or renders it near meaningless. Correct sizing of equipment is a big factor in actual operating SEER Performance; oversizing kills it.

The entire house & the ductwork system are key areas that determine the efficiency of the system in respect to the utility bills U will pay.

The human comfort zone is a factor of proper humidity level, temp & air movement.

Click udarrell & then go to my web, however, I wrote it for Techs to use.
    Last edited by udarrell; 05-01-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Sizing major SEER Factor

thanks for the info udarrell, well the builder contacted me and said the subcontractor will replace both the inside and outside units. they might change it with a lennox brand. will the lennox be of a better quality than the carrier if both were installed properly?

Quote Originally Posted by znil78 View Post
    thanks for the info udarrell, well the builder contacted me and said the subcontractor will replace both the inside and outside units. they might change it with a lennox brand. will the lennox be of a better quality than the carrier if both were installed properly?
    Depends on the exact model numbers (ask for both in writing before job is started). Carrier and Lennox both have higher and lower end equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by znil78 View Post
    I am retired from contracting & tech work, so can't provide info on equipment comparisons. Usually, there is not much difference in the top end of brands.

I would want the Copeland Scroll compressor & a TXV metering device.
    Though some say they've had some problems with some TXVs.

Learn all U can before U make your final decision. - Darrell

The warranty used to 10 years with a 14 seer. Check that out. Switch units. Perhaps now they are all the same.
    Always here

just sent an email to the builder about the model numbers and manufacturer. im pretty sure though they will be installing a builder model (low end?), and if they do, would it be just better to keep the carrier?

Carrier and Lennox are about the same when comparing models of the same 'level'. Quality of installation is much more important than brand, although if you are going top-end I prefer the Carrier Infinity system.
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast