Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 19
  1. #1

    Replacing 5 ton trane compressor for copland 5 ton

    Thinking of making the switch before the 1997 trane 1-phase compressor completely dies- Got a price for less than $ after several phone calls and a discount because I have 12 units to maintain- I am looking at replacing trane compressor on xe1000 that is a 56k BTU with a copeland 58k BTU. All other specs match except for roto-lock fittings bit sweating is not a problem.
    Andone one think I will have issues with this- r22 replacement on a 1997 unit that for the most part is still in good shape- new evaporator, new fan blow, new fan motor, capacitors, etc.??

    Thanks
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-01-2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Removed price

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,741
    What does the tech that is doing the swapout think.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    1,070
    Will the existing Trane coil work with the new Copeland compressor? Why Copeland and not another Trane?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    1,701
    there shouldn't be any problems doing this as long as you realize its not a set up that is going to last another 10 years. if you just want to put off replacement for a couple of years it will work. we have done this dozens of times over the years sticking with r-22 and a recip compressor. if you are thinking of converting this into a r-410a system, thats a whole other ball of wax.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Better figure on adding an accumulator and possibly a discharge muffler to that set up.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Keokuk, IA
    Posts
    5,520
    Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    Will the existing Trane coil work with the new Copeland compressor? Why Copeland and not another Trane?
    Because he can save a few $$$.

    He should work for our purchasing department. They bought a large steam control valve and saved $$$,$$$.... but they've already replaced it once and spent $$,$$$ in special equipment to service it... oh and the valve regulates steam pressure in the plant, when it fails the whole plant goes down. Ooops.


    So he might save $$$ now, but if he only get's half the useable life out of hte unit, how much have you saved? Don't forget installation costs.... and if the teneants lose A/C every 5 years, they might do somewhere else. If demand drops, the rent you can charge might drop.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    sacramento calif.
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    there shouldn't be any problems doing this as long as you realize its not a set up that is going to last another 10 years. if you just want to put off replacement for a couple of years it will work. we have done this dozens of times over the years sticking with r-22 and a recip compressor. if you are thinking of converting this into a r-410a system, thats a whole other ball of wax.
    why would your compressor replacement only last two years? i've heard tech's (well mostly salesmen) say that before but usually when trying to upsell to a new condensing unit. go ahead and assume i'm an astute enough tech that i'm not going to install with the same dirty coils that killed the last comp. and support this remark.
    i was born under a wandrin star.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    1,701
    Quote Originally Posted by stonefly View Post
    why would your compressor replacement only last two years? i've heard tech's (well mostly salesmen) say that before but usually when trying to upsell to a new condensing unit. go ahead and assume i'm an astute enough tech that i'm not going to install with the same dirty coils that killed the last comp. and support this remark.
    it could last 50 years couldn't it? just not likely, since their system is 10 years old. two years is a way of saying don't expect miracles. btw i have had replacement comps last over ten years. when a customer realizes they have dodged a bullet, they usually start paying more attention to maintenance.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    1,701
    on the other hand i've seen 30 or 40 straight days of 105 degrees kill a new compressor!
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    sacramento calif.
    Posts
    1,185
    not likely, since their system is 10 years old.

    how so?
    i was born under a wandrin star.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    central america
    Posts
    157

    trane comp. replacement

    I have changed alot of older Trane comp to Copeland...requires some field modifacation..piping, suction acc.,comp. hold down bolts, crankcase heater, capacitor..Usally done only as last resort..becauase of availblity, time, money.
    The additional time/parts make it a wash..
    Danfoss/Manuroup compressors are a exact drop in replacements for American Std./Trane cans. With rotolocks , same bolt patterns..Cheaper than Tranes..
    Have had good service out of them...even the 3d scrols.
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-02-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Removed link

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    1,701
    Quote Originally Posted by stonefly View Post
    not likely, since their system is 10 years old.

    how so?
    have you ever been to texas in the summer fella???
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    1,701
    Quote Originally Posted by superheatrman View Post
    I have changed alot of older Trane comp to Copeland...requires some field modifacation..piping, suction acc.,comp. hold down bolts, crankcase heater, capacitor..Usally done only as last resort..becauase of availblity, time, money.
    The additional time/parts make it a wash..
    Danfoss/Manuroup compressors are a exact drop in replacements for American Std./Trane cans. With rotolocks , same bolt patterns..Cheaper than Tranes..
    Have had good service out of them...even the 3d scrols.
    they are a good fit, but i can get copeland and bristol locally. i have to go to austin or san antonio for maneurop.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event