Replacing old Heat pump system with new 410A referigerant

I replaced my current Heat Pump system that uses R-22 with new one that uses Puron (410A).

The system I got is :

Carrier 25HPA542 (preferred series) Heat pump
    Carrier FE4 (infinity series) Air Handler
    Carrier Infinity series Thermostat

My question:

I am using the existing lineset ( as it goes through finished basement etc). My contractor says that it is OK and he flushed it with Nitrogen. I have read that it needs to be flushed with R11 and Nitrogen, but he tells me that Carrier does not want R11 to be used and to flush only with Nitrogen, else the compressor warranty will be void.

Otherwise, the dealer was very easy to work with, except the confusion above.

Can someone help on what is the appropriate way to use the old lineset.

Hey Mike, did you get your answer? I'm having the same issue with my a/c unit. Must I change the lineset when installing a new 410A?

Well, I had asked the forum earlier and I did get the answer that "It is best to change lineset if possible, but if not, the old one can be used, if appropriate size and cleaned well"

Based on that, I went ahead with the old line set as it was the right size. However, I am not sure if the contractor has done the correct cleaning required.

I am waiting to hear form some experts!

Last I knew. Carrier says just flush it with nitrogen.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

What makes you thinlk it was not done right? Are you having issues with the unit?
    Did you use a recommended contractor or did you go on price only?

Carrier says it is best to replace the complete system but reusing the lineset is acceptable. They've had this same recommendation for over 13 years... since it was first introduced.

Techs keep saying the oils are not compatibile but technically that is not true. They are immisible... they don't mix and the old oils don't mix with Puron either. Since they don't mix, the old oil isn't thinned out. The mineral oil can cause some loss of capacity. Unless there is a substantial amount of the old oil left in the lineset (system), the losses are neglible.

If the old system failed. that's when I'd recommend the lineset be changed.

POE and mineral oil mix fine.
    Mineral oil and R410A don't mix.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I used a Factory Authorised dealer. Infact there were many who were lower than him, but I chose this dealer.

As I mentioned he did a great installation, and I have had no problems till now. The system was only installed a week back, so I guess it will take time before I know.

What could be the symptoms/implications of the in incorrect line flush? Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by AggieEngineer View Post
    If the old system failed. that's when I'd recommend the lineset be changed.
    in your example, "if the old system failed"

that was not a specific statement, 95% of replaced A/C system's are due to some type of existing system failure

we have already established the fact that the best case scenario is to replace the lineset

however manufacturers are standing by warranties for systems changed from 22 to 410 using existing lineset's and approoved cleaning practices, which include flushing with nitrogen

so as long as the lines were flushed with nitro, the o.p. has nothing to worry about

Right on Airmechanical.... I hate posts like this, if the horse is dead it's time to dismount. You are always going to have the replace don't replace debate. It's creation and evolution argument. You are never going to convince either side one way or the other. Flush with nitro, new filter dryer to catch anything that the 410a scales off the old lineset and you should be good to go...
    "Go big or Go Home"