Gas pack vs split system

Building a new home and have the choice of a gas pack unit or split system is one any better than the other?

Either one will work fine if installed properly. Split unit will require enough height in the crawl space. If house is two story a split works better. A package unit is better to service. Short gas line, no venting problem and no freon lines ( Less chance of leaks). Sometimes a problem in getting the right size return in the crawl space. Large outside unit might be a site problem?
    Blue Fox

Like to add that the package units are more limited in efficiency rating. If you're looking for a 21 SEER unit then I don't believe a gas pack is an option.

I "think" the gas packs max at about 15 SEER but didn't look it up so could be off a point or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    Like to add that the package units are more limited in efficiency rating. If you're looking for a 21 SEER unit then I don't believe a gas pack is an option.

I "think" the gas packs max at about 15 SEER but didn't look it up so could be off a point or two.
    Same with the gas furnace side. You could get a better efficiency furnace going with a split system
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

I would consider the length or your duct runs in this decision. With a split system you can usally locate your inside unit (furnace/air handler) in a more central location which shortens your duct runs. It just depends on the lay out of you home. If you have a package unit at one end of a long house and a room with a big heating or cooling load at the other end of the house you may run into problems getting enough air flow to that room.