Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    whats up with the abs intake and the pvc exhaust?

and all that tape?

Ummmmm.....you got hacked.....

Low bid?????
    I need a new signature.....

ditto that the weirdest install of an uplflow a coil ive ever seen..that definity not right..seems to me that he used an uncased coil and tried to use the plenumas coil like the old lennox i see but the coil was way bigger then plenum..not good,he should have taken out part of plenum and used a cased coil and transitioned that to the plenum..

also that duct is that fresh air makeup ora supply duct? if it s asupply duct it way to close to the coil IMOP needs to be a little higher above coil...

Quote Originally Posted by acguytx View Post
    also that duct is that fresh air makeup or a supply duct? if it s a supply duct it way to close to the coil IMOP needs to be a little higher above coil...
    The black and white pipes are fresh air input and exhaust venting.

To some of the comments, it's a new Furnace, AC and coil. The installer reused the metal piece that used to enclose the old coil.

I have sent the link to this message to the company who provided the service so that they can see the opinions posted here.

Thanks for your help and keep the comments coming. Things didn't look right to me, hence my seeking help and advice here.

Dolfan
    Last edited by Dolfan; 05-02-2009 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Fixing some typos

Did they pull Permit

I would complain and get supervisor out their. The piping might be legal their but not here. You have to use ipex 636 pvc piping on both supply and return. Their is a real good chance of having air flow problems. The most important thing is will it work= Not very good. Did they not promiss a proffessional job or did you go with lowest bidder. I am not trying to insult anyone just a saying you sometimes get what you paid for. Good luck
    Do it right the first time.

also that duct is that fresh air makeup ora supply duct? if it s asupply duct it way to close to the coil IMOP needs to be a little higher above coil...
    humidifier by-pass? either way you're right, too close to the coil. For all the time they spent hacking that in it'd have been cheaper to buy the correct cased coil and reward themselves with some pride... Unless this was a low-bid install.

Come On

That is a by pass humidifier and their absolutly nothing wrong with its location. Lets be clear so we don't give him any false information.
    Do it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    I would complain and get supervisor out their. The piping might be legal their but not here. You have to use ipex 636 pvc piping on both supply and return. Their is a real good chance of having air flow problems. The most important thing is will it work= Not very good. Did they not promiss a proffessional job or did you go with lowest bidder. I am not trying to insult anyone just a saying you sometimes get what you paid for. Good luck
    I had 6 different quotes and did not go with the lowest bidder. I went with an experienced company who promised a professional job. That was key to me as, I have learned from here and some other places that the most important part is the installation.

I have already sent an email to their customer service manager and included a link to this thread.

I truly appreciate all the help I have been getting here.

Thanks,

Dolfan
    Last edited by Dolfan; 05-02-2009 at 05:55 AM. Reason: gramatical errors

Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    The piping might be legal their but not here. You have to use ipex 636 pvc piping on both supply and return.
    I believe that ipex 636 pvc is required by code in Ontario as well. If you do not get very far with the company you may consider issuing a complaint to the TSSA or whoever the authority on venting is in Ontario. I also heard on the news yesterday that the City of Toronto's building department will come and inspect work that you had done by a contractor ensuring it meets code and they have valid licenses . They may force you to fix anything against code out of your pocket.

I see a few suggestions to use a cased evaporator coil when installing a furnace and a/c at the same time. Is that only to ensure a clean transition from the furnace to the coil? I believe it is very rare in the Toronto area (probably becuase an uncased coil is a little cheaper). Is it ok for the part of the plenum above the coil to be smaller in width and depth if a smooth transition is used?

Quote Originally Posted by john_ertw View Post
    I believe that ipex 636 pvc is required by code in Ontario as well. If you do not get very far with the company you may consider issuing a complaint to the TSSA or whoever the authority on venting is in Ontario. I also heard on the news yesterday that the City of Toronto's building department will come and inspect work that you had done by a contractor ensuring it meets code and they have valid licenses . They may force you to fix anything against code out of your pocket.

I see a few suggestions to use a cased evaporator coil when installing a furnace and a/c at the same time. Is that only to ensure a clean transition from the furnace to the coil? I believe it is very rare in the Toronto area (probably becuase an uncased coil is a little cheaper). Is it ok for the part of the plenum above the coil to be smaller in width and depth if a smooth transition is used?

IMO yes ,this happens frequently with the new larger 13 seer and up coils and the old plenums still there ..

the issue with this is a coil is a forced air product and with the coil not in the direct airflow above the furnace you are going to have issues with warm spots in the coil and not very good heat and humidity removal IMO..

so as long as the coil is in the direct air stream above the furnace or fan coil then when it leaves a smooth transition will be ok .

yes is there air flow issues with all these types of installs ,yes in aperfect world we would do a complate new plaenum and duct install with every retro but this isnt a perfect world and people cant afford to redo everything all at once in ost cases so its pretty common to have a huge coil with a transiotn into a much smaller supply plenum..

Update - They are coming this week to re-do the install with a new plenum.

I will post pictures.

In re-reading the posts, I see there was some questions about the pipes being used.

The white pipe, which is a 636 is for exhaust. There is no markings on the black intake pipe. Anybody know if 636 is required by code in Ontario for intake?

Thanks,

Dolfan

Thumbs down

Now that is what I call a hack job, and to top it off, it is not even insulated?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast