Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice - AC Coil extending past plenum

Post Likes

Come On

Quote Originally Posted by acguytx View Post
    also that duct is that fresh air makeup ora supply duct? if it s asupply duct it way to close to the coil IMOP needs to be a little higher above coil...

That is a by pass humidifier and their absolutly nothing wrong with its location. Lets be clear so we don't give him any false information.
    Do it right the first time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    I would complain and get supervisor out their. The piping might be legal their but not here. You have to use ipex 636 pvc piping on both supply and return. Their is a real good chance of having air flow problems. The most important thing is will it work= Not very good. Did they not promiss a proffessional job or did you go with lowest bidder. I am not trying to insult anyone just a saying you sometimes get what you paid for. Good luck
    I had 6 different quotes and did not go with the lowest bidder. I went with an experienced company who promised a professional job. That was key to me as, I have learned from here and some other places that the most important part is the installation.

I have already sent an email to their customer service manager and included a link to this thread.

I truly appreciate all the help I have been getting here.

Thanks,

Dolfan
    Last edited by Dolfan; 05-02-2009 at 05:55 AM. Reason: gramatical errors

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    The piping might be legal their but not here. You have to use ipex 636 pvc piping on both supply and return.
    I believe that ipex 636 pvc is required by code in Ontario as well. If you do not get very far with the company you may consider issuing a complaint to the TSSA or whoever the authority on venting is in Ontario. I also heard on the news yesterday that the City of Toronto's building department will come and inspect work that you had done by a contractor ensuring it meets code and they have valid licenses . They may force you to fix anything against code out of your pocket.

I see a few suggestions to use a cased evaporator coil when installing a furnace and a/c at the same time. Is that only to ensure a clean transition from the furnace to the coil? I believe it is very rare in the Toronto area (probably becuase an uncased coil is a little cheaper). Is it ok for the part of the plenum above the coil to be smaller in width and depth if a smooth transition is used?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by john_ertw View Post
    I believe that ipex 636 pvc is required by code in Ontario as well. If you do not get very far with the company you may consider issuing a complaint to the TSSA or whoever the authority on venting is in Ontario. I also heard on the news yesterday that the City of Toronto's building department will come and inspect work that you had done by a contractor ensuring it meets code and they have valid licenses . They may force you to fix anything against code out of your pocket.

I see a few suggestions to use a cased evaporator coil when installing a furnace and a/c at the same time. Is that only to ensure a clean transition from the furnace to the coil? I believe it is very rare in the Toronto area (probably becuase an uncased coil is a little cheaper). Is it ok for the part of the plenum above the coil to be smaller in width and depth if a smooth transition is used?

IMO yes ,this happens frequently with the new larger 13 seer and up coils and the old plenums still there ..

the issue with this is a coil is a forced air product and with the coil not in the direct airflow above the furnace you are going to have issues with warm spots in the coil and not very good heat and humidity removal IMO..

so as long as the coil is in the direct air stream above the furnace or fan coil then when it leaves a smooth transition will be ok .

yes is there air flow issues with all these types of installs ,yes in aperfect world we would do a complate new plaenum and duct install with every retro but this isnt a perfect world and people cant afford to redo everything all at once in ost cases so its pretty common to have a huge coil with a transiotn into a much smaller supply plenum..

Post Likes
    Update - They are coming this week to re-do the install with a new plenum.

I will post pictures.

In re-reading the posts, I see there was some questions about the pipes being used.

The white pipe, which is a 636 is for exhaust. There is no markings on the black intake pipe. Anybody know if 636 is required by code in Ontario for intake?

Thanks,

Dolfan

Post Likes

Thumbs down

Now that is what I call a hack job, and to top it off, it is not even insulated?

Post Likes
    Looks like a classic Home Warranty job from here.

Post Likes

Plenum Replaced - Updated Pics

Hi,

Thanks for all your help. The installers just left after replacing the plenum.

To me this looks proper now.

Dolfan

Post Likes
    Are there any issues with installing an uncased evaporator coil sideways?

What I mean by sideways is rotate 90 degrees so that the refrigerant lines enter the coil from the side of the furnace instead of the front of the furnace.

The reason I ask is because I know that evaporator coils are sold in different widths to match the widths of different size furnaces. When replacing both as Dolfan did, should the contractor not order the evaporator coil that matches the furnace width? If they did, wouldn’t the evaporator have to be installed so that the lines come out the front of the furnace in order to allow everything to line up nicely? Or did they get away with a smaller sized coil (physical width and depth, not capacity) so that it can fit sideways?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in