Vac-ing with ball valves

I usually evacuate through my manifold, but I just got a set of hoses (Imperial) with ball valve ends and tested them. They vac and hold fine untill I turn the valve off then I rise to atmos. what gives? any one else?

Only thing I've noticed with mine is that full open isn't exactly that anymore. After about a year of service I open them to 45 deg. and all is well. No issue noted on closing.
    I tell bus. owners how much cooling costs...

With the ball valves I've always opened and closed them a couple times before I hit a deep vac, help get the air trapped in the valve out. Not sure if that's what your encountering, or if they are just leaking.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

really need the SuperEvac setup to properlly pull a fast vac in the field...youll never pull a deep vac with a manifold
    "Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential"

Winston Churchill

I agree with the SuperEvac setup. As for the ball valves, make sure you turn them at least a quarter turn to get the air out that's trapped in them before your done vacuuming.

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    With the ball valves I've always opened and closed them a couple times before I hit a deep vac, help get the air trapped in the valve out. Not sure if that's what your encountering, or if they are just leaking.

Me to
    If you help others then you are a Success

Quote Originally Posted by Tie Strap View Post
    really need the SuperEvac setup to properlly pull a fast vac in the field...youll never pull a deep vac with a manifold
    Yes you can if your manifold is in good shape and you are using black hoses. I have both setups and there is no difference between them.

we talked to the vac pump people can"t remember what brand. they told us not to pull throgh your manifold or charging hoses use black hose made for pulling vacuums and ball valves do trap air. take your valve stems out and see how quick it pulls down.
    work to live not live to work.

i had those same vavles leak out of the package,tore them down and put leak lock on the threads good so far. but i prefer the super evauc kit for pulling down.

I finally got around to a more thorough test and it looks like only the high side ball valve leaks under vac. and only at 3/4 closed. The others just hold ALOT of air and it takes several slow cycles (open-close-open) to clear them

Black hoses are my ultimate goal, but Ill have a hard time giving up my 4 valve manifolds. Maybe if I ever convert Ill paint "NITRO" over the "VAC" knob

Quote Originally Posted by local553 View Post
    take your valve stems out and see how quick it pulls down.

I was just thinking about this the other day. Everybody talks about our VCRTs but nobody ever mentions pulling the core depressors out of their lines.

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateHT View Post
    I finally got around to a more thorough test and it looks like only the high side ball valve leaks under vac. and only at 3/4 closed. The others just hold ALOT of air and it takes several slow cycles (open-close-open) to clear them

Black hoses are my ultimate goal, but Ill have a hard time giving up my 4 valve manifolds. Maybe if I ever convert Ill paint "NITRO" over the "VAC" knob

I was just thinking about this the other day. Everybody talks about our VCRTs but nobody ever mentions pulling the core depressors out of their lines.
    Either one of these work as well.

Since you have 2 sets, you could go ahead and ship one to me, I'll store it in my van for you... you know, help you free up some space in your van.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."