Bryant A/C 113A vs. 165A

I'm buying a new house that is spec'd with 310JAV furnace and 113ANA AC unit. I asked for a price to upgrade to the Preferred series A/C because I would like something a little more efficient and quieter - the furnace is in so I cannotmanke any change there. The quote to upgrade is only $ more for the 165ANA over the 113ANA.

Will this still pair well with the furnace and is there a noticable difference (efficiency and/or noise) to make it worthwhile to upgrade? I figure for the modest cost increase it is but would like to hear from the experts here before deciding

Thanks!
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-30-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Removed price

Won't gain you much in the way of efficiency with the basic furnace (needs variable speed blower to get anything near 15 SEER). It is a quieter unit with better coil protection, though.

well my post got edited so no one knows how much I have to pay for the upgrade but it's not much. Would it be a waste of money regardless without the better furnace then?

I still like the idea of an amost 10db drop in noise and the duraguard protection - I'm in the pacific northwest (I know, so why bother with A/C...) and it's going to see it's share of rain.

For a quieter unit and louvered coil protection--likely at a little less cost--consider the 123ANA (Legacy 13). Just doesn't make sense to go with the Preferred 15 when you won't get 15 SEER.

Thanks Ryan, that's a good suggestion. I think my only reservation about the 123A is it appears to be different only in the duraguard louver protection. Operating dbs are the same as are all other specs I can find. I guess it essentially comes down to paying for a quieter unit since I won't gain the efficiency but would there be any potential problems putting the 165A with the 310J furnace?

Quote Originally Posted by JN99 View Post
    Thanks Ryan, that's a good suggestion. I think my only reservation about the 123A is it appears to be different only in the duraguard louver protection. Operating dbs are the same as are all other specs I can find. I guess it essentially comes down to paying for a quieter unit since I won't gain the efficiency but would there be any potential problems putting the 165A with the 310J furnace?
    Essentially, yes. You may gain a little efficiency with the 165, but doubtful it will be over 14 SEER, so no real noticeable advantage.

The Legacy units are not loud per se, and I really don't think operating noise will be an issue with either unit.