Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    jeepgrady - thank you for that explanation! That makes perfect sense based on all I've read but the salesperson wasn't able to put it so succinctly!

ACFIXR - I'm sorry to be dense but I don't understand your comment! The XR13/XR14 and XP14 are all heat pumps, not blowers - right? When you say "he's talking about the blower motor model number, the new and improved not GE motor" - which 'he' do you mean? And which blower - Lennox or Trane - has the new and improved not GE motor? Were there problems with the GE motor? I'm confused but then I'm very easily confused regarding all this stuff!

Thanks!

jeepgrady (or anyone else!) - can you tell me more about the Lennox blower? Does it help lower humidity? We'd be using it with a single stage compressor.

Thanks!

Trane is an XR14 which is pretty comparable to the XP14 all across the board--not inferior. The Trane has the advantage by including the variable speed blower, which is better for humidity control if set up properly.

Lennox is 8.75 HSPF and 15 SEER. Trane is 9 HSPF and 14 SEER. If you use a variable speed blower with the XP14, the CBX32MV-060, you'll be at 14 SEER/8.5 HSPF. And you'll use the tax credit.

How was it established that you need a 5 ton unit?

5 ton because that's what the existing unit is and we've made no modifications to the house structure or ductwork. The existing unit is the original from when the home was built.

According to what I've seen, if we put a variable speed blower with the XP14 it does NOT qualify for the tax credit!

Is the variable speed blower truly superior to single speed?

Trane

Let's see, a Trane 13 SEER even though it says XR14

or a Lennox 15 SEER that gets $1500 back?

Even though the Lennox isn't VS, I'd take the higher efficiency and healthy tax credit.

X13 is the tradename Regal-Beloit (formerly GE) gives to their ECM motor with fixed speeds. Actually the motor is the same as a VS, just with an electronic control that is less sophisticated. Funny that the VS air handler doesn't qualify, wonder what the difference is? Actually I think Rheem has a match where the X13 air handler has higher efficiencies than the VS version too. Not that way with Nordyne.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Let's see, a Trane 13 SEER even though it says XR14
    The XR14 gets 14 SEER in that combo (well, the "C1" revision does - 1382148).

If you want the tax credit, go for the Lennox. As BL said above while the X13 motor isn't variable speed it is high efficiency.

My blower, ( air handler) is matched to the Lennox XP16 which is a two stage compressor. The two stage compressor assists in reducing the humidity as it usually runs in the first stage. The lower stage is 67% of the total capacity of the unit. By running at this lower setting, the unit stays on longer resulting in that much more moisture being pulled out of the house. Yet, even though it is running for a longer period of time, it uses less electric as it is powered at a reduced state.

If removing humidity is a concern, you may want to look at a two stage setup.

The difference in the trane and lennox blower is....

The trane 4TEE is ECM (electronically commutated motor) with ramping profiles.

The lennox CBX27UH is ECM, withOUT ramping profiles.

So its my feeling that the aside from the ramping they share the same efficiency.

Is the ramping truly beneficial? Is there a difference in how well each filters 'junk' out of the air (ie - does lower blower speed allow the filter to work more effectively?)?

The price difference between the two - AFTER taking off the tax credit for the Lennox is not much. (The Trance dealer knew he was competing against a unit that qualified for the credit and adjusted his bid accordingly.) Lennox warranty is 10 year compressor/5 year other components. Trane is 10 year compressor & coil, 10 year parts (they beefed up the standard warranty as part of their bid.)

Considering these factors - what do you guys think is the better choice?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeanyb View Post
    motoguy28 - the Trane unit is an XR14, not an XR13. Do you still think it's an inferior product to the XP14?
    Ooops.. my mistake. Same unit on paper, but I believe the Lennox will be a little quieter (not improtant ot you) and more improtantly, it qualifies for the tax credit and has a higher efficincy rating. The XR14 has good HSPF 9.0, but is only 11.5 EER and 14 SEER with that match.

THe Lenox is 12.5 EER, 15 SEER and 8.75 HSPF and has a little more cooling capacity.

Th eTrane I beleive is a scroll and is a nice unit. I beleive it's the same as as the XL14i, but without the fancier cabinet.

I also believe with on line regerstation Lennox has 10 year parts along with trane offering the same with on line.

I'm going with the same Lennox XP14 condensor and air handler as the OP. It is the only 5-ton set up that qualifies for the tax credit and there's no reason not to take advantage of it.

Have you already made the purchase Jeany?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12