30GXN325 Reoccuring problem

its a 30GXN325-A-6-CY spun up July 2003 in a 40K sf office building. Since then I have had to replace 2 screw compressor boards. The most recent burnout is attached. Does anyone else have history with this type of equipment killing its boards in this manner?

I have other problems with it (motor masters, fan motors, fuses, liquid level sensors, etc.) but generally nothing takes the entire system down except this. Its Texas and not a good thing when AC is down. The last time the board burned up and was down for six days until replacement parts made it. The good thing was it in December. This time its too close to summer to survive on ambient air temperatures.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I take care of quite a few similar chillers as what you are working on except mine are all 30HXC's or 30HXA's. Both models have been reliable especially the water cooled machines. Haven't had any board failures yet and some have quite a few hours on them. My chillers are all inside, maybe the outdoor heat has something to do with it?

Weather conditions

thanks for your response. Weather conditions the first time was high of 65 low 39, light rain, and moderate winds per NWS archives, April 24 high was 82 and low of 63 with moderate to high winds, no precip. The wind is the only cross match on environmental conditions.

30GXN(PITA)325

Hello fellow Texan, visited your little town about a month ago. Judging by what I'm seeing in you thumb nail that arc-flash has more then control voltage behind it. Check anywhere Line power and 24/120 volt control power occupy the same cavity (ie) Compressor terminal boxes, motormasters you get the idea. Geo.

Quote Originally Posted by KMS-PL View Post
    its a 30GXN325-A-6-CY spun up July 2003 in a 40K sf office building. Since then I have had to replace 2 screw compressor boards. The most recent burnout is attached. Does anyone else have history with this type of equipment killing its boards in this manner?

I have other problems with it (motor masters, fan motors, fuses, liquid level sensors, etc.) but generally nothing takes the entire system down except this. Its Texas and not a good thing when AC is down. The last time the board burned up and was down for six days until replacement parts made it. The good thing was it in December. This time its too close to summer to survive on ambient air temperatures.
    Hey KMS-PL put your email in your profile I will see what I can do.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

I've got an account w/ 2 air cooled 30GXN & one 30HXC- had it for the past year, I've never experienced anything like that... sounds like you're shorting out somehow.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Short somewhere

Agreed on the short. It appears the 4th pin from the bottom on J9 SCB was the source in December which was significantly less scorching than this one (unnoticable until we removed the board). Fuse 2 is not burned out and we are looking around Oil Heater B for the short. Originally I was told it was J6. My email is up in the profile now. Thanks everyone. I'll post an update later today.
    Last edited by KMS-PL; 04-29-2009 at 02:31 PM.

I had a similar machine (carrier screw) where the control board shorted due to burnt out solenoid coils ,the whips were pulling on the stems of the solenoids causing the stem to distort and the plunger wouldnt pull in causing coil failure,watch the whips on those units cause they will create troubles.Anyway good luck.

There should be a blacj jumper wire going from terminal #5 to terminal #7 cut it as close to #5 as possible . Then spilce that into the black wire with #4 away from the terminal block/J9 plug. Most likely not a short but still possible.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.