Ethernet <> PSTN

Im looking for an affordable solution to get our Ethernet based controls on a standard analog telephone line (yes, stepping backwards). What I need is a router that will take outbound TCP/IP traffic and dial into a pc. It also must answer the phone line when the PC dials it up and pass traffic through to the Ethernet side.

It would seem that the PSTN modems and routers are quickly dying out. While we have found a few products, many of them are for the industrial PLC market and priced accordingly. Currently the Comtech PSTN router is what we are looking at. The cost of the device and shipping it here however is more than the controller we are connecting to it.

Anyone know of a similar device for a couple hundred bones or less?

What about converting the POTS line to DSL and doing that way ? First cost is less but don't know about the monthly on the DSL.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

With the availabilty of high speed networks everywhere, all serial/dialup stuff and custom cable wiring is just about gone. (Thank God!)

What you are asking for is actually a fairly complex router, that I have never seen even when dialup was popular. If you just wanted to tunnel into the IP device on the remote end there all sorts of serial/TCP converters available.

Not sure what exactly you guys are trying to do but either get a DSL line, or check out this little wireless modem with built-in I/O and a scripting language:
    http://www.csimn.com/CSI_pages/Wireless.html

This particular application we will be replacing an out of date controller that is no longer made with a new one which is only IP based. The existing controller uses a phone line to get info back to the mother ship. While some of these sites will be converted over, many will have to stay dialup.

The sites are located all over the place so wireless is out of the question. DSL would be nice and easy, but it also is another ~$40 a month for the end user.

>What you are asking for is actually a fairly complex router

There use to be a fair amount of them out there, all discontinued now. A standard router with dial-up backup would work. But again, find them (still in production) that allow dial in connections is not that simple anymore.

http://www.precidia.com/products/ethercell.html

I have not used any of their stuff. But reviewing their products, they have a whole lot of connectivity products. May be worth a phone call.

Thank you Amigo!

That should work and it saves me the hassle of importing a unit from the UK.

Just need to source a compatible modem...