Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Compressor won't go on

HVAC experts,

I moved into a home in December last year. It has Goodman HVAC. Throughout the winter used the gas furnace of course. Now it is Spring and turned on A/C by switching thermostat to Cool. Air handler kicked on and after a few minutes I noticed the air was not cooling and the compressor/condenser was not running outside.

Have always lived in homes with heat pumps so not sure if I am forgetting a setting or control somewhere. It appears the heat exchanger for the A/C is in the basement on top of the gas furnace.

Any ideas before I call a professional?

Thanks for your help!

really nothing else for you too do, maybe see if the conderser fan is still coming on with a call for cool, if not it could be an open safety switch, or the compressor may be shot if it went all heating season with the oil heater messed up or something to that effect.

either way a pro can diagnose this in no time

See if the breaker for the outdoor unit is on.

If it is. Then you need to call for service.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Check if animals or weedwackers have chewed through the thin control cable running out to your compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by wjl2112 View Post
    HVAC experts,

I moved into a home in December last year. It has Goodman HVAC. Throughout the winter used the gas furnace of course. Now it is Spring and turned on A/C by switching thermostat to Cool. Air handler kicked on and after a few minutes I noticed the air was not cooling and the compressor/condenser was not running outside.

Have always lived in homes with heat pumps so not sure if I am forgetting a setting or control somewhere. It appears the heat exchanger for the A/C is in the basement on top of the gas furnace.

Any ideas before I call a professional?

Thanks for your help!
    if you smelled a bitter smell coming from the compressor it may have burned out. maybe an overchange and check you wires for crew marksl.

Call Professional

Sounds like it is time to call for a professional, and he can make sure everything is operating okay.
    Do it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan87 View Post
    if you smelled a bitter smell coming from the compressor it may have burned out. maybe an overchange and check you wires for crew marksl.

What?!

~smoke~
    "That motor's done, he let the factory smoke charge out!"

Lots of possibilities, but unless the breaker or disconnect is off better call a pro to come take a look see, more than likely it's a run cap but could be anything, check the disconnect first, and the breaker, dont try and open the outdoor unit up and poke around, it's our job to get attacked by the bees that like to live in there, along with all the other fun stuff that goes on behind that panel

call for a service.could be a number of things but odds are its a simple fix. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by smoke View Post
    What?!

~smoke~
    thats cute my 2 year old use to roll her eyes to. They GROW UP way to fast.
    and a manager for traine said thats a way to tell if the compressor is burnt out is if it smells bitter depending on the type of compressor it is. WHAT?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan87 View Post
    That's cute my 2 year old use to roll her eyes too. They GROW UP way to fast.
    A manager for (traine) Trane said that's a way to tell if the compressor is burned out is if it smells bitter depending on the type of compressor it is. WHAT?!
    Seriously?

Right.

I may be cute but I'm also one of the top paid residential service techs in one of the top 5 residential service company's in the country.
    I also passed 4th grade and I can spell correctly. Corrections made above.

The reason I said "what?!" is you jumped right into a compressor burn out. You have no idea what is going on without being there. Now you're telling a homeowner about a bitter smell with a burn out condition.
    He doesn't even know where to look to smell for a burn out and I'm guessing you don't either.

As stated from others, leave the diagnosing to the pro's.

By the way a burn out condition doesn't matter what type of compressor it is.
    You're right though it may be an overchange and he should look for crew marksl

~smoke~

Wow. I'm impressed.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

To the original poster,

Just check to make sure the breaker isn't tripped in your breaker panel, thermostat should be in the cool setting and turn your fan to the auto setting.
    Drop the temperature down. If nothing happens then call a "qualified" service technician in your area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast