Thread: Drier install

Drier install

Have Climate master water source heatpump hanging from the ceiling with 6" clearance from the ceiling to the top of the unit. Model:GLH120BFC3ACLSS Serial: G11340616. I will be changing out the comp. and need to hear from someone who has installed a drier on one of these units without having to bring the drier to the outside of the unit. All previous comp. installs have been done with no driers. I believe, because of the very tight space. Thanks

My condolences. I know of several that would have to be pulled out of the ceiling to do much of anything beyond belts and filters. I changed out a compressor in one that had better access a while back, and I ended up putting in a suction drier between the compressor suction and the reversing valve. Wasn't a burn out, though. This was a hole in the can. The little bit of liquid line was 7/8" OD and a bi-flow drier that size wasn't even close to fitting in the cabinet.

Keep yer stick on the ice. We're pullin' for ya.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Those @#$#$% Engineers

Quote Originally Posted by powerup View Post
    Have Climate master water source heatpump hanging from the ceiling with 6" clearance from the ceiling to the top of the unit. Model:GLH120BFC3ACLSS Serial: G11340616. I will be changing out the comp. and need to hear from someone who has installed a drier on one of these units without having to bring the drier to the outside of the unit. All previous comp. installs have been done with no driers. I believe, because of the very tight space. Thanks
    Seems like engineers that design these units would take in account of service of units.

If they would only require them to spend at least five years in the field. Before they allow them to put pencil to paper, it sure would make life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by meoberry View Post
    Seems like engineers that design these units would take in account of service of units.

If they would only require them to spend at least five years in the field. Before they allow them to put pencil to paper, it sure would make life easier.
    Iagree

ya, i had one of those jobs that had over a hundred 10 ton water cooled Friedrich's, in the ceiling, all over 20 years old

i became the expert at lowering those things to replace stuff

2 highjacks, 1 on each side, ceiling grids removed, water lines and strainers oh man!

hey they take time, but i was getting paid by the hour

and my boss was charging by the hour, so everyone is happy

as far as the drier, get some fittings and copper and get creative

street 90's and street 45's will be your friend's on these sort of jobs

there has to be room for a drier somewhere in the cabinent

Thanks for all your sympathies and I believe I will become very creative on my repiping. Drier will end up on the outside of the unit and will get insulated extremely well.

Yeah, it should be against the law to put stuff like that in a ceiling.
    I had a bunch of em like this at a bldg.
    I had to replace the blower mtr. in this one. Couldn't get to the blower access side.
    Had to climb on top of the unit and lay on my belly and reach down into the blower compartment to remove the blower. PITA!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by lenb View Post
    Yeah, it should be against the law to put stuff like that in a ceiling.
    I had a bunch of em like this at a bldg.
    I had to replace the blower mtr. in this one. Couldn't get to the blower access side.
    Had to climb on top of the unit and lay on my belly and reach down into the blower compartment to remove the blower. PITA!
    Who do you cuss at first, the architect trying to save five square feet. Or the installer that just wants to get it in so he can go home.

Be fair and cuss them both lol the installer doesn't have much choice unless he chose the equipment but most of the time he is given a job and the equipment and has to get it done