Thread: Chap stick

Chap stick

Now here is a prodouct I use every day as well as millions of other Americans. But I think most of us take this little round platic tube for granted. And you really appreciate haveing it in your pocket when your out hunting elk on a cold blustery day. But this little tube has quite a history I would like to take you all back to the 1870's when beenthere was a little boy.

In the early 1870s, Dr. Charles Browne Fleet, a physician and pharmacological tinkerer from Lynchburg, Virginia, invented ChapStick as a lip balm. The handmade product, which resembled a wickless candle wrapped in tin foil, was sold locally, but did not have much success.
    In 1912, John Morton, also a Lynchburg resident, bought the rights to the product for five dollars. In their family kitchen, Mrs. Morton melted the pink ChapStick mixture, cooled it, and cut in into sticks. Their lucrative sales were used to found the Morton Manufacturing Corporation.
    In the early 1930s, Frank Wright, Jr., a commercial artist from Lynchburg, VA, was commissioned to design the ChapStick logo that is still in use today. He was paid a flat fee of $50.

In 1963, The A.H. Robins Company acquired ChapStick from Morton Manufacturing Corporation. At that time, only ChapStick Lip Balm regular stick was being marketed to consumers; subsequently, many more varieties have been introduced. This includes ChapStick flavored sticks in 1971, ChapStick Sunblock 15 in 1981, ChapStick Petroleum Jelly Plus in 1981, and ChapStick Medicated in 1992. Skier Suzy Chaffee was a spokesperson for the brand in the 1970s. Former ski racer Picabo Street is commonly seen on television commercials as one of the company's endorsers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    Now here is a prodouct I use every day as well as millions of other Americans. But I think most of us take this little round platic tube for granted. And you really appreciate haveing it in your pocket when your out hunting elk on a cold blustery day. But this little tube has quite a history I would like to take you all back to the 1870's when beenthere was a little boy.
    In the early 1870s, Dr. Charles Browne Fleet, a physician and pharmacological tinkerer from Lynchburg, Virginia, invented ChapStick as a lip balm. The handmade product, which resembled a wickless candle wrapped in tin foil, was sold locally, but did not have much success.
    In 1912, John Morton, also a Lynchburg resident, bought the rights to the product for five dollars. In their family kitchen, Mrs. Morton melted the pink ChapStick mixture, cooled it, and cut in into sticks. Their lucrative sales were used to found the Morton Manufacturing Corporation.
    In the early 1930s, Frank Wright, Jr., a commercial artist from Lynchburg, VA, was commissioned to design the ChapStick logo that is still in use today. He was paid a flat fee of $50.

In 1963, The A.H. Robins Company acquired ChapStick from Morton Manufacturing Corporation. At that time, only ChapStick Lip Balm regular stick was being marketed to consumers; subsequently, many more varieties have been introduced. This includes ChapStick flavored sticks in 1971, ChapStick Sunblock 15 in 1981, ChapStick Petroleum Jelly Plus in 1981, and ChapStick Medicated in 1992. Skier Suzy Chaffee was a spokesperson for the brand in the 1970s. Former ski racer Picabo Street is commonly seen on television commercials as one of the company's endorsers.
    LOL... you need a life! (like me)!!!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

That stuff works pretty good if your knuckles or finger tips start getting dry and want to crack...
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbleheadski View Post
    LOL... you need a life! (like me)!!!
    I enjoy getting drunk and doing my Andy Rooney impressions in the forums.

LMAO. you look like Andy!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

OK; but where are all the labels printed ?

Tell me that one. <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.