Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Variable Speed Blower and SEER

I understand that having a variable speed blower will increase the SEER rating. Are there ADDITIONAL savings due to a VS blower, or is that taken into account with the SEER rating?

I'm trying to decide between a Goodman 13 SEER single stage Package Unit and York 16.5 SEER dual A/C & Heat with VS blower.

My calculated SEER savings alone isn't enough to come close to covering the extra cost for the York (even with the full 2009 rebate). And it seems like most of you think 2-Stage is more for comfort rather than savings (assuming I leave my thermo A/C setting the same). Thanks!

A little bit more than a VS blower difference in those two units....

Money savings alone, you won't get a pay back.
    But, the comfort make make it more then worth while.

Get the best you can afford, afford what you get.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Check that the York is spec's to deliver at least 16 SEER and 13 EER in the system it's installed in. Many 2 stage "16.5 SEER" units don't make the grade on either SEER or EER when in the final system.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Two stage in a humid climate ,allows you to set the stat higher and be comfortable,saving for you ,not calculated in the the SEER.

sktn77a, What do you mean about the "final system". Its a package unit so shouldn't it all be one system? Or are you talking about the duct system?

Quote Originally Posted by cooldude_9999 View Post
    sktn77a, What do you mean about the "final system". Its a package unit so shouldn't it all be one system? Or are you talking about the duct system?
    OK, didn't realize the York you were looking at was a package unit. Split systems are rated for the furnace/air handler, coil and condenser combination as a "system".

Variable speed fans make for a great heating and cooling system: very quiet and some humidity control is possible. However, variable speed motors are more susceptible to power surges and lighting damage. An out of warranty variable speed motor replacement can cost as much as 5 times the amount of replacing a standard 3 speed blower motor.

High cost + low reliability sounds like a bad deal no matter how comfortable you are.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post
    If that's a max ratio, what's a typical ratio?
    High cost + low reliability sounds like a bad deal no matter how comfortable you are.
    No typical ratio.

No price discussions, or this thread will be closed!
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by gasser65 View Post
    An out of warranty variable speed motor replacement can cost as much as 5 times the amount of replacing a standard 3 speed blower motor.
    This is the major reason I did not choose a v-s motor with my 14 SEER system.

Hopefully, replacement prices will come down in the future.

I think that a major reason that the cost may be higher is lack of understanding of the GE ECM system. Initially there were problems with magnets coming off, but that has been solved. The problems are probably related to the controller board and the troubleshooting. There ia some skill required and aldo some specialized test equipment.
    This equipment is readily available abd online training is available.
    i was a little miffed in that the unit I got, (By mistake that has not yet been rectified) is a GMV80 that is 5 years old. There have been improvements in the last 5 years I would like to have included.
    New technology is coming if you like it or not. You have to keep up or one day you wake up and find you are obsolete.
    So far I love my VS system. I can't justify swapping a new GMV80 for a GMV95 on efficiency in a hybrid system, but your customers will like the VS fan.
    Perhaps you should install an optional surge suppressor to the electrical system like I did. It is a good idea anyway for the homeowner to protect all of the new electronics in use today.

You are absolutely correct about installing a surge protector - I found that out the hard way a few years ago. I had to replace two out of the three v-s motors I had installed for a customer due to lightning damage.... at my own expense. I never install a v-s without one now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast