Question Portable pipe stand

Hey, guys,

I am looking for a small, portable way to hold fittings and/or pipe while brazing them. I am getting tired of using wrenches, flaring blocks and tubing cutters to support the work while I grab the torch.

I don't do a whole lot of soldering and brazing, so I don't want to spend a fortune and I can't afford the room for a full sized pipe stand.

What do you guys use?

When installing I like to take along one of those plastic work stand-tables, it folds to transport, and holds things up where I can work on them.

I picked up a scrap piece of 2X8 at a job site and mounted one of my old swivel vises on it. I can take it anywhere and it works for most any size tubing. And it just sits on the floor of my van.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

an old Workmate Jr.
    If you help others then you are a Success

I use a portable work stand. I have a vise that is connected to 2 2x4 . I just clamp them to the stand and off I go

rigid makes a smaller version of the big one. don't take up alot of room. way better to handle.
    work to live not live to work.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    I picked up a scrap piece of 2X8 at a job site and mounted one of my old swivel vises on it. I can take it anywhere and it works for most any size tubing. And it just sits on the floor of my van.
    Since I typically only use smaller diameter pipe. 1 5/8 would be about max for me to do any fitting on, I think I will run with this idea. I have some scrap lumber laying around and might just have an old vise somewhere...

Thanks to all.