+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Service this...

Post Likes

Frown

Notice the blower access pannel installed against the brick wall. The furnace flue was reduced and not connected or sealed at the chimney. Back pressure scorched the floor joist

Back pressure burnt off the paint, scorched/melted the wiring amd conduit straps.

Company just told the customer the unit was ok. Heat exchanger is blistered, numerous cracks and the gaskets are out of the breaching plate. This furnace is 11 years old and was never inspected [duh...huh] Duct system is down, furnace is touching the ground and floor joist. Customer was wondering why they were smelling oil fumes?!

[Edited by Boss on 12-29-2003 at 08:47 AM]

Post Likes
    Ducane ought to see this along with the numbers to check routing. Its a shame our livelyhood has stooped this low. How are you handaling this? Any proposals, as I need guidance in these situations myself.

Post Likes

Thumbs down Is the installing Co. still in buisiness?

This goes beyond the "one year warrantee". Once a violation, always a violation...There is no statute of limitations on this. If a dog made this mess in your house, you'd rub his nose in it, and throw him outside. This clown deserves the same.

Post Likes

Let me guess

Couldn't have been an oil co. right?
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes
    Smells like an oil company...

Post Likes
    I resent tnat remark. I work for an oil company .Looks more like a oil furnace maintained and serviced by someone without a bacharach kit.Ive seen some pretty screwed up crap that a regular Hvac co. has done to oil furnaces ,fuel lines ,fuel tanks flues etc.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by riello guy
    I resent tnat remark. I work for an oil company .Looks more like a oil furnace maintained and serviced by someone without a bacharach kit.Ive seen some pretty screwed up crap that a regular Hvac co. has done to oil furnaces ,fuel lines ,fuel tanks flues etc.
    Like 100% of the oil companies around here. The ones that haven't just plain given up on trying to install and repair equipment, that is.

"Regular" HVAC companies are just as bad as oil companies, never worked for a "regular" HVAC company. From damn fine to sterling, yeah, but never a "regular" one...

Post Likes
    Maybe I should have said hvac companies that don't "normally" work on oil furnaces rather than "regular".Most oil companies wouldn't risk a Fuel oil customer with an crap job like that.Also our local distributor stopped selling Ducanes junk oil units.There are some intelligent hvac guys that work for oil companies that are more than simple greasemonkeys
    Peace

[Edited by riello guy on 05-04-2003 at 01:54 PM]

Post Likes
    Oil furnaces for some reason are always shipped with that biggest oil nozzle size that the unit can be equipped with.

I could never figure out why the manufacturers do this? I would think you would want to start a furnace with the smallest nozzle. Take your temperature raise and if you have to use a bigger nozzle then jump it up a size.

Many a furnace are thrown in and started up with the biggest nozzle the unit can take and as a result many a furnaced remain overfired for years. Or until something like the one in the picture happens.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by benncool
    Oil furnaces for some reason are always shipped with that biggest oil nozzle size that the unit can be equipped with.

I could never figure out why the manufacturers do this? I would think you would want to start a furnace with the smallest nozzle. Take your temperature raise and if you have to use a bigger nozzle then jump it up a size.

Many a furnace are thrown in and started up with the biggest nozzle the unit can take and as a result many a furnaced remain overfired for years. Or until something like the one in the picture happens.
    Really? I did not know that! (Honestly-no sarcasm here).

That may explain why on occasion I have found incorrectly sized nozzles in relatively new furnaces. I always attributed it to mechanics with a "that oughta work" attitudes. It makes me feel a bit better to know that at least there's a chance it wasn't intentional. Heh.

cdp3

Post Likes
    Furnace also has no firematic shutoff valve at the unit, and no electric thermal cutoff.

Post Likes
    WOW! that is bad! Talk about risking some lives. Benny, no kidding? (about the nozzles) Hey, I've learned something today! I, like cdp3 had always wondered about the previous techs.Thanks

Post Likes
    I thought that was done so that an installed couldn't drill out the nozzle - they had to replace them with new ones.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by cxagent
    I thought that was done so that an installed couldn't drill out the nozzle - they had to replace them with new ones.

Never thought about that.....but if I ever caught a person drilling out a nozzle I would personally kick their a$$ on the spot.........for all a nozzle costs, it's a lot safer and easier than taking the chance of drilling the hole in the nozzle too big and firing it past sepcs.

Post Likes

Oil Furnaces/Nozzle Sizing:

I don't know who's kidding or what but,,,

the OEM nozzle is to give the designer/imstaller the output that the furnace is rated for. Like if you have a 80,000 BTU load, you can use a 70,000 BTU rated furnace. That's what the smart guys do. If you sold them a 90,000 BTU rated furnace with a nozzle that equals 70,000 BTU's, they would save a buck and put a cheaper 50,000 one. Amnd nothing would work as designed. Like the above.

As far as nozzles go, a lot of guys who do this kind of work (see picture for example) are better off NEVER touching a nozzle. That COULD be like handing a baby a loaded 44 Magnum pistol.

If you don't own a combustion tester/analyzer, you shouldn't even turn on the switch. Because with one, you can check for CO before you go in and check to see if you will make it out.

JMHO,

Chris Gordon

But go figure,

I can't.

I love the replies here. You guys sure know your stuff. Great site.

Post Likes

cm

Very true.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes
    All the Armstrongs I've put in lately have the low fire nozzle installed, and the larger in the bag with the manual.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in