Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Heat causes oxidation, oxidation causes resistance, resistance generates heat and so on until something fails. Nickel plated connectors don't oxidize as quickly at high temperature compared to regular terminals, but if the wire is oxidized then all bets are off.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by chilliwilly View Post
    Would that crimper be the one that crimps the uninsulated type that makes both sides roll into the middle of the wire? You know the type you see on factory made tail ends.

The one I use is a standard ratchet crimper that has 3 sizes on the jaws and won't crimp that sort of crimp.

I always find that the female spade connection is never tight and has to be squashed down prior to shoving it on the male spade, it lasts for a bit longer.
    Strange, but I can't find the Jaws for the uninsulated connectors, have everything else RJ, Coax, and insulated jaw insert. Only problem I remember is trying to figure which way the terminal faced when using the crimper.

look into stainless connectors. pretty high compared to other terminals, but they don't corrode as easy, and they make a tight connection.

Hmm

Cooked off connections are a constant source of service calls on cooking equipment.

I DO stick with the high temp terminals AND wire. In theory, conventional terminals and copper wire may expand and contract more readily with severe temperuture fluctuations. Hence, a loose connection develops that purpetuates into damaged, overheated connection.

New, high temp terminals and wire with a good, tight crimp and lug connection are critical. A new component (such as that element) would lend to a perfect repair - but I don't drive around with an array of spare elements on my truck. So, if not too badly damaged, I've polished the component terminal down to a bare, corrosion free metal surface to ensure a clean connection.

I DO prefer lug connections over spade (fast-on) connections. Any manufacturer that designs spade connected elements should consider hiring some new engineers.

Look at the whole circuit. A bad spade on the thermostat could be the reason the connection burnt out at the element.

Manufacturers try to save money using wire that is too small, using none heat grade connectors. I have a coworker that replaces way to much wiring and stuff, but he does not have call-backs.
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12