+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best bbq joints?

Post Likes

Best bbq joints?

Here in the St. Louis area we have a few good places. We have chain joints like bandanas an Stumpy's. The Man vs. Food show spotlighted Pappy's Smokehouse. Never been there but it's supposed to be great. Me I go to Stumpy's because it's close and good. What are some out there?

Post Likes
    here in NY best around is Dinosaur BBQ
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
    Jerry Garcia

Post Likes
    Strawberry's down in the bootheel
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    Over on this end of I-70, Gates, (I did his HVAC for 7 years) Bryant's, K.C. Masterpiece, Smokestack all very good. Come on over in the fall for the American Royal BBQ contest, a good time.
    I stopped at The Salt Lick in Dripping Springs-Driftwood (Austin) area Texas, their beans sucked, no fries on the place, Brisket was awesome, but that was all.

Post Likes
    In Virginia. Allmanns in Fredricksburg used to be really good. The Dixie Pig used to be down on US1 near Alexandria that was awesome but is gone now. Here in Fla. I like mine the best

Bodeen

Post Likes
    I use to like several but about 5 years ago I was working in
    Tysons corner Virginia and drove to
    Daves world famous bar b q
    I got hooked and ate there 4 of the 5 nights I was there.
    Now we have one in Clearwater yee haw
    its a 2 hour drive but worth it
    they are supposed to build one near me soon
    I keep writing them e-mails because I found a perfect spot for one
    but they keep blowing me off and telling me to go to Clearwater
    If con is the opposite of pro
    is congress the opposite of progress?

Post Likes
    of course whenever I am in Miami or Davie
    I always go to Shorty's bar b q
    If con is the opposite of pro
    is congress the opposite of progress?

Post Likes
    We dont have one!
    screw that!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    bubbalou's bbq in Orlando

Post Likes
    Best one i knew of locally was a place located deep in the hood..looked like a house but inside the 1st floor was all open with tables and a bar to belly up to...no liquor just Q. It then moved to a regular restaurant and the board of health shut them down repeatedly for cooking outdoor for more than 10 days out of the month..owner stressed out and had a heat attack. the community got on the health departments ass because it was basic bullying. its also hearsay the restaurants near his where behind the push of the health department to shut him down...how dare he take there business he is just a old hick from the hood. but now the health department has changed its rules and a restaurant with proper permit can cook outside 365. sorry rant over, i was just pissed over the whole ordeal even though its was 2 yrs ago.

Post Likes
    Its a long drive to Kc Jack
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpb2 View Post
    Its a long drive to Kc Jack

Long drive home too, all hungover after the Donkeys loose
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Next time ya go i'll try to meet ya fer a beer

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    We dont have one!
    screw that!
    No bbq joints?!? Well that sux. Sounds like a business opportunity for someone. Invest in a nice smoker and diy.

Best one i knew of locally was a place located deep in the hood..looked like a house but inside the 1st floor was all open with tables and a bar to belly up to...no liquor just Q. It then moved to a regular restaurant and the board of health shut them down repeatedly for cooking outdoor for more than 10 days out of the month..owner stressed out and had a heat attack. the community got on the health departments ass because it was basic bullying. its also hearsay the restaurants near his where behind the push of the health department to shut him down...how dare he take there business he is just a old hick from the hood. but now the health department has changed its rules and a restaurant with proper permit can cook outside 365. sorry rant over, i was just pissed over the whole ordeal even though its was 2 yrs ago

Sounds like some BS. They wer jealous because he was making a little business for himself.

I use to like several but about 5 years ago I was working in
    Tysons corner Virginia and drove to
    Daves world famous bar b q
    I got hooked and ate there 4 of the 5 nights I was there.
    Now we have one in Clearwater yee haw
    its a 2 hour drive but worth it
    they are supposed to build one near me soon
    I keep writing them e-mails because I found a perfect spot for one
    but they keep blowing me off and telling me to go to Clearwater
    You are a diehard bbq fanatic if you'll drive 2hrs! Right on man.

Over on this end of I-70, Gates, (I did his HVAC for 7 years) Bryant's, K.C. Masterpiece, Smokestack all very good. Come on over in the fall for the American Royal BBQ contest, a good time.
    I stopped at The Salt Lick in Dripping Springs-Driftwood (Austin) area Texas, their beans sucked, no fries on the place, Brisket was awesome, but that was all.
    I need to get over to KC to check out some bbq KC style.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_schmo View Post

I need to get over to KC to check out some bbq KC style.

Gate's burnt ends burn both ends when you eat um. Hot and Gooooood!

I'd go back anytime, if I can sleep while everybody else drives.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Gate's burnt ends burn both ends when you eat um. Hot and Gooooood!

I'd go back anytime, if I can sleep while everybody else drives.
    LOL Gate's burnt ends burn both ends That sandwich looks like a real ass kicker. I gotta try one. I bet it's worth the burn.

Post Likes
    just saw on the way home a new place opening up..i saw 3 grills going in the parking lot..charcoal not gas..and the smell mmmmm....will be trying that place out soon.

Post Likes
    we have a lot to choose from in central tx, but my vote for the best anywhere is black's in lockhart. in a town that claims to be the bbq capital of the world, black's is a notch above.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC LLC View Post
    fries with bbq??? never heard of that! salt lick is a touristy place(ok food) real bbq joints don't have the seating capacity for a tour bus.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Post Likes
    Gates has the best big fat fries, and Bryant's has good ones also.
    Here are some pictures of the Salt Lick in Driftwood. I wrote a story about it, I'll see if I can find it.

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...0Lick%20B-B-Q/

Salt Lick
    I like to think I know BBQ, never missed the American Royal BBQ festival and contest in Kansas City, and I was the repair man for Ollie Gates, of Gates and Son BBQ for seven years, one of his stores, the original, right down the street from Arthur Bryant’s BBQ.
    I know one has to factor in the different styles of preparing and Pork versus Beef, rubs, sauces, and smoking woods. It doesn’t take an expert to eat a rib to know it should fall off the bone, instead of having to chew it like a piece of rawhide.
    Beans; beans should be BBQ beans, a little of the burnt end meat and some molasses, brown sugar, and possibly a secret ingredient or two.
    My wife and I had been driving around the Austin-Buda-Kyle areas looking at property, and getting ‘The lay of the land’. We drove over a creek and down the road, when we smelled the heavenly odor of smoked food, my head snapped around and saw a large building covered by vegetation, some other buildings flanking it and a sign we could not read in the rear view mirror. I turned at the first opportunity, back-tracking the ¼ mile or so, pointing the nose of our Super-Duty Ford truck into the narrow drive of what turned out to be ‘The Salt Lick Bar-B-Q’ in Driftwood, Texas. We were both ‘Jonesing’ for some smoked meat and good beans to go with it. Tart Kosher pickles, some good old fat, greasy fries and we would be in the front row of heaven.
    We parked back by the vineyard in an immense parking area, looked around and saw a sign, ’assembly area’, we walked over to that open building, which turned out to be just seating, off to the right was the entrance to the BBQ pit and order area.
    Couples and families were walking in carrying big coolers, I thought to myself, “well, it’s way out here, they are buying in bulk“…. When I asked for a beer, I found that you must bring your beer with you. Texas, I guess??
    I walked around, taking pictures, Sue got a menu and we sat to study it.
    Family style (Per person) heaping helpings of beef brisket, sausage, and pork ribs served with potato salad, cole slaw and beans, ($18.95) was at the top of the menu.
    We opted to order ‘to-go’, decided on a pound of ribs and shared one Brisket dinner. I decided we would take home a quart of beans as well, but alas, not a French fry in the place. I inquired if the beans had meat in it, the cashier nodded yes. I asked her what kind of wood was used to smoke the meat, she said, “Mesquite” a waiter immediately corrected her with “Live Oak” .
    We bought four shirts, with “Way the heck out yonder.…but worth every mile” on them, two white, two black, for Sue and I.
    We got it home, back in Buda, half in a trance from the wonderful smoky aroma emanating from the back seat, plated it and began. I asked Sue, “Where are the BBQ beans?”, all I saw were brown plain beans…a quart of them, “that’s it“, Sue said. “Bummer,” I said. No meat in them either.
    The Brisket was tender and ‘to die for’ The ribs couldn’t have been tougher, smoky, but tough and disappointing.
    Sorry, Salt Lick; “All Hat, and no cattle“…. Well maybe a little baby goat, but “no cattle.”
    Y’all come up to Kansas City, I’ll show you how we smoke meat, fat yummy fry’s, tender fall off the bone ribs and tender smoked brisket as well. Oh, and meat in them beans………
    Last edited by HVAC LLC; 04-18-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Salt lick story

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in