Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Hybrid View

Best bbq joints?

Here in the St. Louis area we have a few good places. We have chain joints like bandanas an Stumpy's. The Man vs. Food show spotlighted Pappy's Smokehouse. Never been there but it's supposed to be great. Me I go to Stumpy's because it's close and good. What are some out there?

here in NY best around is Dinosaur BBQ
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
    Jerry Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by Whale4 View Post
    here in NY best around is Dinosaur BBQ
    Is that the one upstate or in the Bronx, Have been to the Bronx and it is great.

We also have this new place on Long Island "Smokin Al's" . The place opened about 6 months ago and has been the source of many complaints to the Village. Seems the residents that live close by do not like the smell of barbque cooking. They have been trying to run this guy out of town since the first week. All the publicity has made the place the hotest spot in town.

All because some locals purchased homes that back up to commercal property they now want al's to spend $200,000 on a system to remove all smell from the cooking exaust. People who by homes next to the railroad will want silent train horns next.

Strawberry's down in the bootheel
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Over on this end of I-70, Gates, (I did his HVAC for 7 years) Bryant's, K.C. Masterpiece, Smokestack all very good. Come on over in the fall for the American Royal BBQ contest, a good time.
    I stopped at The Salt Lick in Dripping Springs-Driftwood (Austin) area Texas, their beans sucked, no fries on the place, Brisket was awesome, but that was all.

In Virginia. Allmanns in Fredricksburg used to be really good. The Dixie Pig used to be down on US1 near Alexandria that was awesome but is gone now. Here in Fla. I like mine the best

Bodeen

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC LLC View Post
    Over on this end of I-70, Gates, (I did his HVAC for 7 years) Bryant's, K.C. Masterpiece, Smokestack all very good. Come on over in the fall for the American Royal BBQ contest, a good time.
    I stopped at The Salt Lick in Dripping Springs-Driftwood (Austin) area Texas, their beans sucked, no fries on the place, Brisket was awesome, but that was all.
    fries with bbq??? never heard of that! salt lick is a touristy place(ok food) real bbq joints don't have the seating capacity for a tour bus.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Gates has the best big fat fries, and Bryant's has good ones also.
    Here are some pictures of the Salt Lick in Driftwood. I wrote a story about it, I'll see if I can find it.

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...0Lick%20B-B-Q/

Salt Lick
    I like to think I know BBQ, never missed the American Royal BBQ festival and contest in Kansas City, and I was the repair man for Ollie Gates, of Gates and Son BBQ for seven years, one of his stores, the original, right down the street from Arthur Bryant’s BBQ.
    I know one has to factor in the different styles of preparing and Pork versus Beef, rubs, sauces, and smoking woods. It doesn’t take an expert to eat a rib to know it should fall off the bone, instead of having to chew it like a piece of rawhide.
    Beans; beans should be BBQ beans, a little of the burnt end meat and some molasses, brown sugar, and possibly a secret ingredient or two.
    My wife and I had been driving around the Austin-Buda-Kyle areas looking at property, and getting ‘The lay of the land’. We drove over a creek and down the road, when we smelled the heavenly odor of smoked food, my head snapped around and saw a large building covered by vegetation, some other buildings flanking it and a sign we could not read in the rear view mirror. I turned at the first opportunity, back-tracking the mile or so, pointing the nose of our Super-Duty Ford truck into the narrow drive of what turned out to be ‘The Salt Lick Bar-B-Q’ in Driftwood, Texas. We were both ‘Jonesing’ for some smoked meat and good beans to go with it. Tart Kosher pickles, some good old fat, greasy fries and we would be in the front row of heaven.
    We parked back by the vineyard in an immense parking area, looked around and saw a sign, ’assembly area’, we walked over to that open building, which turned out to be just seating, off to the right was the entrance to the BBQ pit and order area.
    Couples and families were walking in carrying big coolers, I thought to myself, “well, it’s way out here, they are buying in bulk“…. When I asked for a beer, I found that you must bring your beer with you. Texas, I guess??
    I walked around, taking pictures, Sue got a menu and we sat to study it.
    Family style (Per person) heaping helpings of beef brisket, sausage, and pork ribs served with potato salad, cole slaw and beans, ($18.95) was at the top of the menu.
    We opted to order ‘to-go’, decided on a pound of ribs and shared one Brisket dinner. I decided we would take home a quart of beans as well, but alas, not a French fry in the place. I inquired if the beans had meat in it, the cashier nodded yes. I asked her what kind of wood was used to smoke the meat, she said, “Mesquite” a waiter immediately corrected her with “Live Oak” .
    We bought four shirts, with “Way the heck out yonder.…but worth every mile” on them, two white, two black, for Sue and I.
    We got it home, back in Buda, half in a trance from the wonderful smoky aroma emanating from the back seat, plated it and began. I asked Sue, “Where are the BBQ beans?”, all I saw were brown plain beans…a quart of them, “that’s it“, Sue said. “Bummer,” I said. No meat in them either.
    The Brisket was tender and ‘to die for’ The ribs couldn’t have been tougher, smoky, but tough and disappointing.
    Sorry, Salt Lick; “All Hat, and no cattle“…. Well maybe a little baby goat, but “no cattle.”
    Y’all come up to Kansas City, I’ll show you how we smoke meat, fat yummy fry’s, tender fall off the bone ribs and tender smoked brisket as well. Oh, and meat in them beans………
    Last edited by HVAC LLC; 04-18-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Salt lick story

man you were so close to lockhart! its the next county over from where you were (hays co. where i'm at). lockhart has smitty's (no relation), black's, kreuz's, r&g etc... the whole town is bbq heaven!
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

I love your part of Texas, we stayed in Bourne for a few weeks, then Buda for a few. Looked at property in the Hill country...ah, pricey....
    Looked at the mfg. homes, thought about getting a little land and a double wide. Maybe some day...
    Enjoy it for me. Next time We come that way, we will try your area.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC LLC View Post
    Brisket at Salt Lick. Mmmmmmm. Now that's some Q. I agree that everything else on the menu is par at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Agg97 View Post
    Brisket at Salt Lick. Mmmmmmm. Now that's some Q. I agree that everything else on the menu is par at best.
    black's brisket will make you throw rocks at salt lick.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast