Canadian local looking for work!

Afternoon (evening, morning) all!

I've decided to switch from plumbing to HVAC after completing 400 hours towards my plumbing apprenticeship. I found that it was very simple and straightforward and was afraid that in a short period of time I'd get bored of it because it's not an industry that changes often. I've been raised doing a lot of construction and renovation with my father and have a good general knowledge on most trades, and I found that I didn't have as much to look forward to learning in plumbing.

HVAC was one thing that I haven't been as exposed to, and it's one of the most interesting of the trades. I have friends and family in the industry that highly recommended it to me, and the more I researched it, the more it became the right choice for me.

Now my problem is finding a company that is willing to take on a first year apprentice so that I can get my start. I'm willing to move mostly anywhere within Canada to get started in this, but with the economy where it is, it's a real headache finding anyone willing to hire. It's really disheartening being a strong young guy willing to work long hard hours and not being able to land a job.

Can anyone give me some direction here? What is the phone number for the Toronto HVAC union (they are hard as hell to find online)? I've heard there is lots of opportunity in Saskatchewan, anyone know anything about that? Primarily I'd like to wind up in BC either on the island, in Vancouver, Whistler, or Squamish as it's the perfect setting for me hobby-wise, but I've called and most people there tell me construction is terribly slow as well. Right now I'll take work anywhere so long as it's a stable job.
    Last edited by Oddity; 04-15-2009 at 12:41 AM.

you can call local 787,they are located in brampton.

The phone # is 905-790-1019

you have seen the light my friend you will not be sorry, and you see something new every day for the rest of your career if your lucky.
    NO Brains NO Headaches

UA 787 isnt accepting any new members for apprenticeship, to many pre-apprentice not working right now.
    Bad time to switch.
    But i do agree this trade is way better than plumbing

Thanks for that number, sadly as snowman said, they are full. Seems to be the same story for all the trades here in ontario.

I'm looking out west for opportunities. Hopefully one of the phonecalls can lead to a job..

Is anyone out in Saskatchewan right now? And does anyone know what the union number is out there? Every company or office I've called is clueless.
    Last edited by Oddity; 04-17-2009 at 02:35 PM.