Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Carrier Heat Pump. One Noisy Problem

Had a new Performance series Carrier Heat Pump, HP25 model, with a new variable speed Carrier 5 ton air handler dialed down to 3 ton air flow in a 1750 sq.ft. 2 story home. It performs very nicely except for one thing. It's TERRIBLY NOISY!!! In fact, the outdoor unit is as noisy or even louder then the old Day & Night unit it replaced. Ironically, of the units we evaluated, the DB rating was the lowest on this unit and that was an important consideration. Startup in heat mode is raucous and the outdoor unit fan has a humming pitch that resonates through the home. I've yet to contact the vendor/installer but I'm posting here for some feedback. Especially from you pros. Yes, I expect some noise. I can't believe this is normal however. Any advice is welcome. Particularly whether you think the noise factor is a legitimate replacement/repair complaint.

Thanks much
    Ted

I have seen those units up close operating and they should be very quiet. Call the installer back to check everything over, since something is obvious wrong/defect. Is it the outdoor unit that is loud only, or the indoor unit too?

sounds like the installer attached the lineset to your home, and it's vibrating your house... certainly have the installer come inspect it!
    but be ready for it to be a problem with your existing lineset. your old unit was noisy as well? there could be a lineset mounting problem inside your walls... from the existing install.

Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    sounds like the installer attached the lineset to your home, and it's vibrating your house... certainly have the installer come inspect it! but be ready for it to be a problem with your existing lineset. your old unit was noisy as well? there could be a lineset mounting problem inside your walls... from the existing install.

You were reading my mind, these are my thoughts exactly.

Why would you have a 5 tons, what was your load calc? What is your TESP? Get the contractor back out and have him expain to you.

Noise could be from lots of things. I bet you paid top dollar. A proper sized, both duct work and unit, should provide confort, energy savings and no noise.

STUD

The air handler is the 5 ton model but he said it's set for 3 tons of airflow. Probably the FV4BNB006.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC/Stud View Post
    Why would you have a 5 tons, what was your load calc? What is your TESP? Get the contractor back out and have him expain to you.

Noise could be from lots of things. I bet you paid top dollar. A proper sized, both duct work and unit, should provide confort, energy savings and no noise.

STUD
    I hope he didn't get, "Joe's economy HVAC".

Why would you install a 5 ton if 3 ton is required?

STUD

The 5 ton yields better efficiency results, so often it is used. It's bigger though, so sometimes it can't always fit. I think the noise issues the poster is having are coming from the outdoor unit.

Thanks for replys.

Thanks much for your replies to date. I was hoping several of you were familiar enough with the equipment to comment on the noise factor and I appreciate that feedback. I thought they should be pretty quiet too. At least that's what I was hoping.

Though I'm not familiar with the term, as far as the line set is concerned, the unit is about 25 feet from the house near the garage and all lines run underground beside the neighbors garage wall, into our house up to the attic. The outdoor unit itself is mounted on a composite pad set on top of the original concrete pad but the composite pad does overlap the original somewhat.

The noise is entirely produced by the outdoor unit. I do expect some start-up compressor noise but the heat cycle start-up would wake the dead. The fan produces a constant and distracting hummmm and vibration. Both noise problems have become worse since installation.

Of course I can at times hear the indoor blower in the attic when it ramps up full but it's well within the noise comfort range.

The air handler is 5 tons and the contractor explained it was an availability issue and charged no more for it. He also explained that it's designed by Carrier to mate with a 3 ton when required as it can be set to that capacity. I've read somewhere else that this is true. It increase the SEER and HPSF(sp) rating so I was happy.

Again thanks for replies. Any others familiar with these units? I would like to get your comments on the noise factor of those units you know.

Thanks

Ted

Further Clarification

I failed to mention that the installer had been doing business for 25 yrs and I have to admit I came away impressed with the install, though I'm just a homeowner. He insisted on replacing the accessible duct work and though I was relunctant, he preservered. I'm thrilled he did. When he showed me the old duct work after he pulled it......WOW. And when I climbed into the attic, difficult for me, it was another WOW. The ductwork was 'redesigned' for fewer branches and all was suspended to allow easier access throughout the attice.

The city inpector and air leak tester passed it with flying colors and it showed a leak factor that was better than a new home. He really did seem to know what he was doing. He installed a handcrafted sheet metal drip pan, drip lines were blown, a new and somewhat larger air return was installed with an easy change anti allergen filter and all was fine tuned including register flow direction. I have no complaints with his installation.

Since that unit should be a very quiet one, I would call the installer, express your satisfaction overall with his work, but explain how the unit is much louder than expected and than it should be. Sounds like a good installer, so probably will have no problem coming out to take a look.

For what it is worth, installed a Carrie A/C last year that was louder than it should be and it had an unbalanced fan blade. Replaced and noise went away. Performance unit should be very quiet while running. Contractor should be happy to correct so customer remains happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast