Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gas wiring

thanks to all

My afci breaker did trip so I figured the wiring was wrong. We as electrians know these breakers are sensitive. I brought up the subject to a couple of my colleagues thinking I wired it wrong. Normally there is already a plug wired in. I've only wired one other because I have been a industrial and commercial electrian for 25 yrs. I know it is not an excuse but when I saw the black and white wires coming off the terminals I though they were the transformer wires. I told them I was getting a direct short reading but that could be the meter reading through the windings of the transformer. they suggested testing it on a normal circuit. The circuit didn't trip, the thermopile just glowed and made a fizzing noise,then the puff of smoke. I found the wiring diagram after the fact but I still don't see were to hook up the 120v.

Quote Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
    My afci breaker did trip so I figured the wiring was wrong.
    The signature analysis function in the AFCI might have detected a 'bad' arc.

You'll probably need an angle grinder to cut the tip of the TP off so you can get it out of the pilot assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
    I found the wiring diagram after the fact but I still don't see were to hook up the 120v.
    depending on accessories/options, there may be no need for 120V!!!!!!!

usually there is a high voltage j-box in the lower compartment that has a plug or two for things like a fan/blower, remote or other items.

I meant with the diagram and your description of where you put in the 120v we could maybe figure out what is damaged or not. The voltage/current might not have gone everywhere, but it certainly went into the TC.

Question what make and model?

Typically, millivolt fireplaces will have an optional junction box for a 110vac convection blower. If your fireplace does not have one, you'll need to order one from a dealer. The OEM fan kit typically comes with a heat sensor, rheostat and all wiring including a two or three pronged plug.

Rob, why are you recommending cutting the top off the Tp? It should just unscrew from below. Did I miss something?

Why is this unit wired to an AFCI breaker? What transformer do you have with a millivolt valve?

You REALLY need to get a qualified tech in there.

Hearthman

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Typically, millivolt fireplaces will have an optional junction box for a 110vac convection blower. If your fireplace does not have one, you'll need to order one from a dealer. The OEM fan kit typically comes with a heat sensor, rheostat and all wiring including a two or three pronged plug.

Rob, why are you recommending cutting the top off the Tp? It should just unscrew from below. Did I miss something?

Why is this unit wired to an AFCI breaker? What transformer do you have with a millivolt valve?

You REALLY need to get a qualified tech in there.

Hearthman
    he may be thinking that the TP/TC has mushroomed and won't be able to slide out of its hole.

I've had a few that, when the TP failed, mushroomed and I could not slide it out of the PHA. Since this one "glowed and made a fizzing noise" I thought that it would need a little adjustment. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I second the statement that you need a qualified tech to take care of this problem.

If you can put the smoke back in the gas valve it is easy.

Sparky, you run the wires, we'll hook 'em up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12