Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mushrooms???

Mushrooms???

Are there any other mushroom hunters here?

Morel season is just around the corner and I am starting to get a little excited.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Are there any other mushroom hunters here?

Morel season is just around the corner and I am starting to get a little excited.
    shhhhhhhhhhh I didn't say it,but MrBill raises a few GOOD ones
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Wife (the boss) and I go up most every spring at some point. Our only productive spot is now fenced private, so mostly it's just a good walk unspoiled rather then productive. I would like to go with a pro sometime and learn some othe varieties to look for.

I remember a few years back we came upon a baby fawn curled up in the hollow underneath a large tree. Couldn't have been much more then a few hour old. Pretty cool. We backed away after a few minutes - Mom couldn't have been far off and must have been worried sick.

I used to before I moved to the desert. Just a handful I knew for sure.
    A favorite was on that grew by oak trees. Sparassis radicata. Huge. Cut slices 3/4" thick would fill a medium fry pan. Very good.

The last one I found was in the fall. I brought it in the kitchen and began to cut it in slices when tons of centipedes ran out of the middle. They were all over running all directions. Freaky. I guess they know good eating too.

Even here though I found a Amanita Muscaria in the yard last fall.
    Tracers work both ways.

My BIL's mother was right from the old country of Poland.

She would go out every year and get loads of them. She took us all out and showed us how to pick mushrooms.

People have to use their old world mindset when picking mushrooms. Mrs.K KNEW 3 kinds of mushrooms to pick. She probably got this information handed down from generation to generation. To her anything that was not these 3 varities were automatically "POISON !!"

The one she taught me to pick grew only GREW in the fall of the year. (fact #1). They grew in shady areas under pine needles. (fact #2). They grew in clusters and bad mushrooms would not grow with the good ones. (fact #3).
    The top skin on a good mushroom will peel clean and not pull the meat underneath it. (fact# 4).
    Last edited by Green Mountain; 03-04-2009 at 10:53 AM.

I'm kind of like her.

I know 1 kind of mushroom. The Morel.

Once you have learned to ID it, it is unmistakable.

I think I am going to try it have any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    My BIL's mother was right from the old country of Poland.

She would go out every year and get loads of them. She took us all out and showed us how to pick mushrooms.

People have to use their old world mindset when picking mushrooms. Mrs.K KNEW 3 kinds of mushrooms to pick. She probably got this information handed down from generation to generation. To her anything that was not these 3 varities were automatically "PIOSON !!"

The one she taught me to pick grew only GREW in the fall of the year. (fact #1). They grew in shady areas under pine needles. (fact #2). They grew in clusters and bad mushrooms would not grow with the good ones. (fact #3).
    The top skin on a good mushroom will peel clean and not pull the meat underneath it. (fact# 4).
    More facts, from heresay, and internet and not personal experience:

1] USA #1 mushroom expert died from eating a mis-identified mushroom. [internet]
    2] Poison mushrooms grow on wood, but not exclusively. [internet]
    3] 'dope' value mushrooms grow on cow-poo. [local idiot]
    4] not enough food value to take a chance, store-bought or no-go. [my own opinion]
    5] They do sell 'mushroom kits' in some seed catalogs, I have seen that in one or more major seed catalogs.
    6] Hamburger meat, seasoned and browned, add noodles and campbell's mushroom soup makes a very tasty dish.
    Last edited by Tool-Slinger; 03-03-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: y

Quote Originally Posted by rjb7112 View Post
    There is more to IDing a mushroom than a picture. There are certain look-alikes that can be mistaken for Morels.

Here is a website dedicated to the Morel.

http://thegreatmorel.com/index.shtml

Tool-slinger, after looking for morels for a couple of years with NO success, I bought one of those seed kits. It didn't grow. Morels are one of the most difficult mushroom to attempt to cultivate. They have not been commercially cultivated to provide year-around product as other species of fungi have.

Here is the link to the morel habitat. There are VERY specific requirements as to how you have to tend the soil.

http://www.gmushrooms.com/MHK.HTM

Slinger is right. I remembered reading about that mushroom expert. He died because he was an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    There is more to IDing a mushroom than a picture. There are certain look-alikes that can be mistaken for Morels.

Here is a website dedicated to the Morel.

http://thegreatmorel.com/index.shtml

Tool-slinger, after looking for morels for a couple of years with NO success, I bought one of those seed kits. It didn't grow. Morels are one of the most difficult mushroom to attempt to cultivate. They have not been commercially cultivated to provide year-around product as other species of fungi have.

Here is the link to the morel habitat. There are VERY specific requirements as to how you have to tend the soil.

http://www.gmushrooms.com/MHK.HTM
    I read an article on an outfit in Michigan who is now growing them commercially. They grow them along with other exotics, and sell them in mixed packages to gourmet shops.

I think they patented the process, but i guess it is fairly involved and structured.

I googled it.

I stand corrected, however, every article that I read stated up front that it is extremely difficult to grow morels where you want them to grow.

That's why I always carry a GPS in the field. I can't always remember where they grow from year to year.

Quote Originally Posted by rjb7112 View Post
    check local markets (not the mega stores) around here u can buy them when they are in season. Try them first to ensure you like them. Read up on them and there evil sisters. Don't take from a patch you know is another s hidden spot..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast