Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Robin and Tim, have you seen the latest on the Acadia? A group believes they have a fix for many of the Acadia problems. savemyacadia dot org.

I'd like to hear your feedback on it.

Chuck, I discovered savemyacadia.org just today. This also led me to find the discussion on Google group discussion. I haven't been on this site in awhile, but searched it as well, leading to my post.

It will be fantastic if the issues can be resolved.

I will direct my service manager to these sites Monday AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Robin and Tim, have you seen the latest on the Acadia? A group believes they have a fix for many of the Acadia problems. savemyacadia dot org.

I'd like to hear your feedback on it.
    Thanks chuck. I am waiting to be approved, but it seems like they are finding and fixing issues that I would consider primary things to look for.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

If I remember correctly...

Guys,
    My memory is not that good, But..

Didn't these guys pitch these systems as the cheaper "alternative to geo".
    Did they not, ever, submit to any form of "certified testing"
    Did they not cut a deal with a software company to legitimize the undocumented savings? Comparing their unrated systems vs certified systems?

I remember speaking to their president and one point and never got the warm fuzzy any of this was legit.

Sometimes when things seem to good to be true...guess what.

Anyone remember?

The York Triathlon? They were great when the ran as well. But they needed a new Briggs and Stratton about every 2 weeks.They finally started shipping these units with a service tech in a separate cabinet.

Enmod? For you older guys

How about Heat Pipe? Son of Heat Pipe?, The Return of Heat Pipe (just when you thought it was safe to come out!)

Not always safe to be the lead sled dog.

ACBD

ACBD,

I always wait a year or more when a new product is introduced to avoid nightmares like this, but in this case the systems had been out for awhile and I thought the electric co-op would have looked at them closely before getting involved.

They do seem to deliver as promised when they work.

One issue we ran into in 2009: their 13 SEER rating (which didn't matter for cooling efficiencies in northern climates) kept them from qualifying for the 2009-2010 federal tax rebates. Qualifying 2-stage heat pumps cost a little more to operate but offered better ROI's in many cases. At that point in time we were still willing to install Hallowell systems thinking the bugs were pretty much worked out. Then compressors started failing, and in 2010 Hallowell became MIA and the few extended warranties (4 or 5) we sold appeared worthless.

I am not sure they ever got any real ratings

Quote Originally Posted by TimVogt View Post
    ACBD,

I always wait a year or more when a new product is introduced to avoid nightmares like this, but in this case the systems had been out for awhile and I thought the electric co-op would have looked at them closely before getting involved.

They do seem to deliver as promised when they work.

One issue we ran into in 2009: their 13 SEER rating (which didn't matter for cooling efficiencies in northern climates) kept them from qualifying for the 2009-2010 federal tax rebates. Qualifying 2-stage heat pumps cost a little more to operate but offered better ROI's in many cases. At that point in time we were still willing to install Hallowell systems thinking the bugs were pretty much worked out. Then compressors started failing, and in 2010 Hallowell became MIA and the few extended warranties (4 or 5) we sold appeared worthless.
    Hey Tim,

When I spoke to their Pres, I remember him telling me their units operated in a way that was inconsistent with them getting "certified ratings",and they were working on that. He was asking me to help him get past some of the obstacles he was facing with AHRI.

I know they did a deal with one of the design software companies to put their own ratings in an op-cost program so they could sell against other co's certified ratings.
    I thought at the time this was dirty pool.

The customer did not know that the software was comparing industry certified products to Ratings coming only from Hallowell. Not fair.
    But, I always go back to rule #1. Everybody is lying about everything.

I have had several other companies tell me "our units can't be rated because the testing procedures don't understand our technologies". For me. when you can make up your own numbers without any scrutiny you are letting the sales guys run the R&D.

Some other examples from the past.

SERVEL(remember these) residential Gas Chillers, Sales team created SCOP. (seasonal COP) These units were a tough sell even when gas was free.
    US Power DX geo thermal, Efficiencies were continually upgraded to always make the numbers come out. They would put the copper loop in a POOL of water in the factory and got great ratings.

Many other examples over the years. We us can't seem to sell HVAC without lying.

Even SEER and HSPF are just lies designed to create differentiations in what are, for the most part, commodity products.

I found this on how Hallowell got around their ratings "problem". This job is now in court.

"In 2009, Hallowell got a boost from Maine’s congressional delegation, which lobbied on the company’s behalf to secure a Department of Energy-recognized energy-efficiency rating that would pave the way for a host of incentives.

A big setback to Hallowell’s growth, according to its president, came last year when it failed to qualify for American Reinvestment and Recovery Act funds. Hallowell said he believes despite recent challenges his business will remain viable long term because it provides a unique opportunity to innovate solutions in an ever-changing energy industry."

Always go back to rule # 1.

thanks,

ACBD

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567