Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cpeters99 View Post
    Thanks Chuck, I understand your point of view but doesn't the registered installer have an obligation to his customer? What should my attitude be? I paid $13k, $3500 of which to the installer. He had no problem cashing my check. I still have 7 1/2 years of home equity loan to pay for! Have you abandoned your 1 hallowell customer, or do you still answer their calls?
    That is not the kind of company I work for.

We most certainly will take care of "your 1 hallowell customer" no matter what. We ate all the labor for installing both the whole unit on the first failure and the labor for installing the compressor for the second failure. This customer is very happy with our company, just not Hallowell.

When we install a heating system we stand behind it no matter what brand name is on the box.

Sure, but now if it fails again and you can't get replacement parts, what will your company do?

Covering labor on warranty parts is pretty common around here, particularly if annual service occurs. If you have 10-20 of these units out there and they start failing, what do you do?
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Sure, but now if it fails again and you can't get replacement parts, what will your company do?
    I don't know for sure. Work something out that will keep our customer happy.

One thing we won't do is stop answering or returning their phone calls!

Wow!

That's what I'm talking about. I know this failure is almost certainly not the fault of the installer, nor is the failure of Hallowell. But he had no problem taking his profit, both on the install and especially the extended warranty he refuses to honor. I'm learning to fix this myself, it has to last at least as long as the loan!
    Finally, I just gotta say this. How could you expect me to have empathy for the installer that dumped me? I am just an average working guy. I have never spent this much on anything other than my home. I took out a home equity loan for 10 years to pay for this. I thought I was doing a good thing by eliminating my use of 800 gallons of petroleum each year. I got no rebates, I paid everyone every penny they asked for without complaint. How can you tell me if you bought a new car for big bucks, if the car company went out of business, you wouldn't be complaining to the dealer? Be real.

Wow 2

Chuck,
    my failure is with the starter winding of the primary compressor, it would hum and get hot but not run. When the tech checked it the winding was electrically open but not humming. I had the system in emergency mode so the compressors should be off. Later the compressor was humming and hot again. I unplugged them both. Now I'm guessing the starter relay is stuck on and overheated and shorted the starter windings. Now they are energized until they get hot enough to trip the thermal limiter in the compressor, opening the windings. Is this what you found? Do you have any thoughts on the relays or the capacitors, I was missing a couple of capacitor bleed resistors that were replaced 1 1/2 years ago along with the primary contactor that was buzzing and had excess voltage drop. Thanks again for seeing my point of view. Chris.

Heat pumps loose efeciency around 35 degrees F. You should have a furnace kick in when it gets any colder than 32-35 degrees F. Personally, I love having a heat pump when the heating demand is small. And a 2 stage furnace to handle larger demands. I haven't had any issues that this set-up couldn't handle.

Quote Originally Posted by BGreenHVAC View Post
    Heat pumps loose efeciency around 35 degrees F. You should have a furnace kick in when it gets any colder than 32-35 degrees F. Personally, I love having a heat pump when the heating demand is small. And a 2 stage furnace to handle larger demands. I haven't had any issues that this set-up couldn't handle.
    This thread is about the Hallowell Acadia. Do some research. They run down to around -25

What you said about a standard heat pump is not true either. Heat pumps are more efficient that electric heat down to below 10 in most units.

B - technology moves pretty quickly. As fossil fuels become scarce and expensive i think we will see heat pumps take over.

C - I think we all see your position and empathize. We can only know as much as is written here about the situation. In your attitude is a certain "me" centeredness that does not allow for any other perspective. You appear to be taking a high road that looks from the outside that you might be so increadibly unreasonable that phone conversations attempting to come to resolution that will satisfy you appear impossible.

We dont know this contractors ability to provide service given this unfortunate Hallowell situation, but you took a very hard position on this, dripping with your sense if entitlement, which has the appearance that you may be an unreasonable person to deal with. In most situations some compromise will be required, doubly true here. It seems you arent likely to be willing or able to compromise. Again, we only know what we see here and have to infer details.

But this may help others, it is a two way street. Really great customers are like really great bosses, employees bend over backwards for them. Crappy bosses get the bare minimum, and sometimes not even that.

If you want contractors to bend over backwards for you, be great to them.
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

In 2008 I bought a 2005 e320cdi (diesel automobile). I bought a warranty.

The car had some expensive repairs. $5000 in under 3 years. Warranty excluded everything, then went bankrupt. It was unpleasant but helpful experience. Sometimes lemons get served up, try to avoid going around bitter or you will attract more lemons.

Maybe you're right, I should take out another loan to give the dealer for my inoperative system. What was I thinking. It's not his fault the company went out of business, he certainly deserves more.

Certainly he doesn't feel good about the situation. He might do a new system at his cost if he thinks you are a great customer. It would make sense to have him bid.

If he thinks you are a crappy boss, a bottomless pit of self entitlement to free services and time, his price will be high.

So do you have any actual experience with acadia? Do you have any helpful suggestions?

Install a Luxaire/ York 2 stage 15 or 18 seer heat pump. The air handler should work fine since it is a York/ Luxaire blower. They have some good pricing on the 15 2 stage unit now. I have a 3 ton 2 stage unit in my home and it works awesome.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast