Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    It's gotten very cold here in the northeast (and pretty much everywhere in the country, I think) and my Acadia continues to run well. It is amazing to feel so much heat coming out of the vents when the outside temperature is 10F and the subpanel meter indicates that only 2100 watts are being consumed. So far we've used $43 worth of electricity in this heating season. Actually it's less - I changed electricity generators, and need to adjust my spreadsheet's cost-per-kW.

Once we get further into the heating season, I'll post my latest energy consumption data.

That's fantastic!

Yes, include usage when you report cost. I filled my tank for $100 doesnt mean much without the gallons.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

It was -3F this morning, and the Acadia was chugging along on the compressors, bringing the house up from the overnight 63F set point to the morning 65F set point. (We both like it cold.) According to the subpanel meter, the power consumption was hovering around 1975W.

Quote Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
    It was -3F this morning, and the Acadia was chugging along on the compressors, bringing the house up from the overnight 63F set point to the morning 65F set point. (We both like it cold.) According to the subpanel meter, the power consumption was hovering around 1975W.
    THAT is awesome!! I thought long and hard about going with an Acadia but there were no local dealers in my area so for future service concerns I ended up opting for a dual-fuel Lennox SLP98 and XP21 heat pump.

The total electric would have been nice since in this area with the wind generating factor in winter it could eventually have been totally powered off grid. The only down side being the initial investment cost for the battery string and inverters.

I have "inherited" a 4400 amp 48volt battery string, now I just have to build a wind generator to charge them. The inverters will be close to 5 figures though. It's hard to justify the cost at this point so I'm saving for them slowly.

I'm Broke!

I have a 4 ton Acadia that used to work great too. 4 weeks ago it blew the primary compressor and now no one answers at Hallowell http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/...ws-complaints/ And my dealer/installer won't even talk to me any more. I even bought their extended warranty! I've filed complaints with BBB and PA Atty General. For more info Email addresses belong in your profile, not in post, thank you.
    I hope your installer wasn't, ,No naming of compamnies you aren't happy with Good luck, Chris.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-06-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: removed email address

Acadia Suckers Unite!

Just found this google group for those of us taken by Duane Hallowell:

http://groups.google.com/group/hallowell-acadia

Quote Originally Posted by cpeters99 View Post
    I have a 4 ton Acadia that used to work great too. 4 weeks ago it blew the primary compressor and now no one answers at Hallowell http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/...ws-complaints/ And my dealer/installer won't even talk to me any more. I even bought their extended warranty! I've filed complaints with BBB and PA Atty General. For more info Email addresses belong in your profile, not in post, thank you.
    I hope your installer wasn't ,No naming of companies you aren't happy with ! Good luck, Chris.
    We had a customer we installed one for. The only one we installed.

1 year after installation the booster comp went bad and Hallowell sent out a complete new heat pump! We and the customer were impressed with their response.

1 year later the primary comp went bad. Called Hallowell again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again, well you get the picture. Finally after a 3 or 4 weeks we got the compressor from an out of state distributor and installed it. Needless to say the homeowner was not happy about running on Aux Heat during Dec in WI!!

Everything is installed according to manufacturer instructions and I could find no cause for compressor failure.

No more Hallowell's installed by us!
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-06-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: email address in quote

Hallowell Hell

Thanks Chuck, I understand your point of view but doesn't the registered installer have an obligation to his customer? What should my attitude be? I paid$, $ of which to the installer. He had no problem cashing my check. I still have 7 1/2 years of home equity loan to pay for! Have you abandoned your 1 hallowell customer, or do you still answer their calls?
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-06-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: prices

That's a bummer.

If you buy a car, the manufacturer goes belly up and parts are no longer available, do you go to the car dealership expecting them to fix your car? Would you expect them to give you a new car for free, maybe from manufacturer of your choice?

You expect the dealer to call you back to listen to you gripe? That won't solve your problem or feed his family. Time to look at your options for resolution. New system time. If you haven't totally burned your relationship I suspect your dealer feels an obligation to take really good care of you in solving this. If not, it's "get 3 quotes" time.

None of us has a crystal ball, if you buy something and the mgr goes away, that's a bummer, but blaming the installer is pretty unfair.
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Bummer

So I am out ALL my money, but the installer still has every penny of his profit! Yup it's a bummer alright. Screw the customer.

You aren't getting it. Need to push the reset button harder...

This isnt a win for the installer.

The installer now has an unhappy customer, possibly many. Thats lost profit in a lot of ways - think about it!

Also, the installer now has to make and take phone calls that don't result in paying work, can younafford to talk all week for $0?

If you bought a DeLorien would you blame the dealer when that company went away, or would you pity him and be glad you weren't in his shoes? You think these guys print money in their basements? You think you are the only customer he has to worry about?

This is a painful situation for everyone. You think the guys at hallowell are dancing and singing? If you approach this from a place of complete self absorbtion, expect an unpleasant situation to remain unpleasant.

If you have the ability to come from a place of empathy and reason you will likely get through this with the smallest amount of pain possible.

And you aren't out "all" your money, the thing provided cheap heat for a number of years, correct?

Talk is cheap. Empathy won't heat my home, its 11 degrees right now. I am more interested in finding others in my situation. Together we might be more effective. Yes, it provided cheap heat for 2 1/2 years. Now I have no heat for the remainder of my 10 year loan.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    You aren't getting it. Need to push the reset button harder...

This isnt a win for the installer.

The installer now has an unhappy customer, possibly many. Thats lost profit in a lot of ways - think about it!

Also, the installer now has to make and take phone calls that don't result in paying work, can younafford to talk all week for $0?

If you bought a DeLorien would you blame the dealer when that company went away, or would you pity him and be glad you weren't in his shoes? You think these guys print money in their basements? You think you are the only customer he has to worry about?

This is a painful situation for everyone. You think the guys at hallowell are dancing and singing? If you approach this from a place of complete self absorbtion, expect an unpleasant situation to remain unpleasant.

If you have the ability to come from a place of empathy and reason you will likely get through this with the smallest amount of pain possible.

And you aren't out "all" your money, the thing provided cheap heat for a number of years, correct?
    Tedd, you cannot reason with someone that only sees $$$ (childish attitude IMO). Let him fuss until he is tired... he will come around after he runs out of pickles and vinegar...

Life does not have any guarantees... regardless of what folks think... The smart ones learn this and work WITH folks... rather than try to pee in other's coffee.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast