Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Installed second

I will be finishing up my second Acadia unit tomorrow. So far all seems pretty impressive. However, they are going through a MAJOR in-house shakeup right now, they have lost many people, and 2 of the 3 owners from what I hear. No telephone communications, they don't return any calls, etc.. Makes me real nervous...

Quote Originally Posted by dynamic098 View Post
    I will be finishing up my second Acadia unit tomorrow. So far all seems pretty impressive. However, they are going through a MAJOR in-house shakeup right now, they have lost many people, and 2 of the 3 owners from what I hear. No telephone communications, they don't return any calls, etc.. Makes me real nervous...
    I am installing 2 one one job and two on another right now. I just found out about this shakeup. I got a letter saying they found new financing and all will be good (for now).
    Have you had any problems reaching tech support?
    I'm a little nervous now.

The one unit (3 ton) I have running has lineset noise. This is good info. I currently have the lineset resting on the bottom of the trusses. I think I will suspend it with plastic strapping and put the snow stands on rubber pads as suggested.
    "You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever"

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebob View Post
    I am installing 2 one one job and two on another right now. I just found out about this shakeup. I got a letter saying they found new financing and all will be good (for now).
    Have you had any problems reaching tech support?
    I'm a little nervous now.

The one unit (3 ton) I have running has lineset noise. This is good info. I currently have the lineset resting on the bottom of the trusses. I think I will suspend it with plastic strapping and put the snow stands on rubber pads as suggested.
    Yankeebob,

The lineset on my 3 ton really sings. Plastic strap alone wasn't enough to isolate the noise from the framing, even when hanging the strapping mostly horizontal (least transfer). I put some extra foam around the lineset, then wrapped the plastic strap around the foam. Presto, no noise transmission into the framing at all!

- Chris

I think the singing line set syndrome is not just a hollowell issue. Good idea to isolate all hp line sets or come winter you'll get complaints.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

These units do make noise in single cylinder operation. My installer used hard mounts in my joists until I made him come back and add rubber isolators on the AHU. I still need to add some rubber mounts to the line set. the outdoor unit is sitting on rubber pads on the snow stand and is pretty quiet. The fan is the loudest part.

No noise problems in 2 cyl / boosted operation though. Nothing vibrates in AC operation. The unit is crazy quiet, especially compared to some friend AC units in new Hampshire.

This is going to be my 3rd winter with the ACHP (pre-acadia unit). My first winter i about broke eve with oil. My second winter I saved money just because it was mild.

It was 45 at my house this morning around 6:30 am, and the unit was running. I contacted my installer when I heard Hallowell was having some troubles a few months back. He assured me he would still service the unit. Since it's all standard parts I'm not really worried about anything breaking save for the control board, which is exclusive. But I'm sure in this day and age it wouldn't be too difficult to get one if you spent some time on the phone.

cubeseventy,

Where did you get the rubber pads for the outdoor unit? That sounds like a good idea...

My outside unit's fan motor is also on the noisy side. I've been thinking of calling AO Smith and seeing if they have an equivalent-HP motor with a soft-start/soft-stop feature.

- Chris

My installer uses them with his snow stand. There are six that are approximately 2" x 2" squares, 1/2" thick, placed around the periphery of the unit, 4 beneath the compressor rails, and 2 at the corners in the coil end. I'd have to ask him specifically what they are and where they are from. I imagine you could get away with using a rubber isolator from McMaster Carr. Something in the 40 to 50 durometer range that works in cold temperatures would be supportive enough. The units weight about 650 lbs, so spreading that out over 6 pads gets about 12 square inches of contact on his stand, and 55 PSI per pad. Not much load for a pad that's probably rated at 200+ PSI.

If you could find out, that would be great!

I was trying to figure out how you knew durometer values off the top of your head, then I saw in your profile that you're an ME. Very nice! I'm an EE. I'll stick to overclocking the fan motor.

Funny, my three ton units came with only 4 snow stands each. One for each corner. I had planned on using the basic "brownie" rubber/cork vibration blocks (4"x4"x1") that you would put under an air handler. Perhaps I should not??

It's true, I'm an ME from ME.

I'll send him a text.

Yankeebob: I don't have the Hallowell issue snow legs. My installer, and many others, opted to have other styles built. In his case the stand is much easier for his crew to work with, and is cheaper to buy than Hallowells'.

As long as the unit frames are supported under the compressor rails and at the corners I don't think the type of stand matters so much. Unless you get into the whole defrost drainage discussion. That's another can of worms...

OK...I suspended the linesets with perf. strapping and extra Rubatex at the support points, jacked up units and put vib. isolation pads under the feet. This made a HUGE difference in audible noise.
    Thanks for the tips!!

Hallowell Issues

Any reason to try and purchase a back up circuit board? Anyone have any further knowledge about their reorganization? I would bet with their success they may be aquired if anything. I'm good with my unit.

who would want to take them over much less acquire them?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast