Some of you folks may remember me from this thread:
"Hallowell Acadia - where does it become practical?"
I am happy to report that the install has been completed and things are up and running smoothly. It's raining right now but I will get some pictures of the outdoor unit as well as the indoor unit and share them here.
I put the entire Hallowell system on a dedicated subpanel, and put a subpanel consumption meter on it so I can track the Hallowell energy usage down to the dollar. I only got the meter configured properly about a month ago (I'd been running with the wrong current transformer sensing ratio for months!). Here are the numbers I have so far:
The third column takes the current reading and the previous reading, and extrapolates the usage to a 30-day period. Right now the outdoor temperatures are not very cold, and I'm looking at a usage rate of about 375 kWh per 30 days. We have the air handler fan set to run 24/7. As I obtain more data points, I'll update my spreadsheet with pretty graphs and such and share the complete data set here. We also had an Aprilaire 5000 EAC installed, but kept it on a different circuit as not to impact the energy usage measurements.Code:date kWh kWh-per-30days 3/10/2009 2371.7124 4/4/2009 2704.0432 398.79696 4/11/2009 2790.331 369.8048571
I'm located in northeastern PA, in zip code 18322. If you are interested in seeing a Hallowell in operation, you are welcome to contact me privately to have a look.
Some miscellaneous observations:
- The system operates at a high pressure, and the lineset did sing in my installation. The lineset was originally attached directly to the basement ceiling with brackets, but this noise transmitted right up through the floor. We then suspended the lineset with plastic strapping, and the lineset was no longer audible from the living area.
- In operation, the unit is quieter than what I was figuring for its size.
- Our neighbors also have a heat pump (unknown brand). In winter conditions, their heatpump kicked into defrost much more frequently than the Hallowell did.
- I think the 3-ton Hallowell unit may still be a tad oversized for my application (1800sqft split-level). The unit always ran in stage 1, even when it was -2F outside. My understanding is that for most efficient operation, you want it always running in stage 1 and occasionally in stage 2? I'm curious to see how it cools in summer.
- The programmable thermostat has a nice feature where if the programming has a temperature change, it will start ramping up/down 15 minutes early per 1 degree of change. This allows the unit to stay in stage 1 operation even when the scheduled temperature changes by several degrees.
- The stage 1 vent outlet temperatures are somewhat warm to the feel. When I force it to stage 2 (both compressors) by raising the temperature several degrees, I swear it's getting up near as warm as what the oil-burner used to kick out.
- During a defrost cycle, the system can be installed to run either one heat strip (5kW) or two (10kW). We ran both strips to avoid the chilly willies, and it works out pretty nice. With only one heat strip, the air coming out of the vents was a little too cold for our taste.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I'm just a homeowner and not a contractor, but I am happy to do what I can to share with this community.