Thread: Loop Sizing

Loop Sizing

I know it depends on what type of soil you have, but is there a rule of thumb for how long the poly pipe in the ground should be on a horiz closed loop system and how many loops you can put in one trench. I'm quoting a 4 ton system and have handled the equipment, pumps, ductwork etc but for my own education would like more info on the horiz loops

A very basic rule of thumb would be 500' of pipe in an extended slinky laying flat in a trench 8' deep for each ton of heat pump capacity. Space between loops at least 2'-3'. A 4ton system would use a trench approx 100' long by 25' wide and 8' deep.

if i have room, i have done 700 foot rolls of pipe, going 350' out and 350' back spacing the lines 1' apart in the trench. so a 4 ton system, 8 lines, 7 foot wide trench, 350' out.

slinky action - 800 foot loops put together on 18" spacing, 36" wide, creating a 95' loop. we space the slinkies 2' apart. occasionally what we will do is drop every other slinky 3' deeper in the ground and then dig the trench 12' wide rather than digging a trench 16' wide. this works real well on a 3 ton system. the trench has a shelf on each side with a 3' deep trench through the middle. trench depth depends on when we find moisture in the ground on a 12 ton system we did last spring we went 12 - 15 feet deep b/c it was extremely sandy and we didn't hit nice moisture unti 10-15 feet. that was an exception to the rule for us as we usually go 7' deep.

every situation is different.

You should post this in the pro forum for more technical responses.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?