Thread: "NO ac without also replacing heater," says realtor

Post Likes

Exclamation "NO ac without also replacing heater," says realtor

Ok so I'm in the process of bidding on a house and I'm trying to work a free energy star ac into the deal. The house has an oil hot air system w/ a new burner, and no pre-existing AC. The realtor/owner (and I think he's full of it) says he can't have the AC done because it needs to be done along with the heater. Is that salestalk for "i don't wanna do it" or is he actually truthful.

Personally I think it can be done one way or another (new air handler?). What's the real story? A prompt reply is greatly appreciated!!

I may also convert to gas heat in the future if the oil heat doesn't work well enough.

Post Likes
    salestalk for "i don't wanna do it"

You have the interpretation correct.

Post Likes
    it could very well be true,might need new ductwork also.cant see what your working with,is it one of those old octopus looking relics ? if it is ,its most likely sealed and or insulated with asbestos.the real estate guy knows the added value of a new a/c system.there might be a reason he didnt allready upgrade.changed one of those out over the winter,the cost of haveing a company come in and remove the asbestos cost the lady allmost as much as the new system.if you can,have a hvac guy you trust take a look at it.

Post Likes
    I'd have a local HVAC company do some estiamtes on different options. As mentioned this could be a bigger job than it seems.

HVAC equipment is not completely modular. You can't "add" gas heat to an air handler. You have to pick one or the other a gas furnace or air handler with heat pump and/or electric heat. Your gas rates, electric rates, available utilities, climate and others will determine what the best equipment.

Hmmm... who was it that said window shakers were obsolete?

Post Likes
    Generally don't need a new furnace for A/C(exception being old octopus/gravity system).

Post Likes
    Free A/C? How can you get a free A/C? Sellers put it in? If so, look out

If you want to qualify for the tax credits, it is very rare to find a system that does without a matched indoor unit with high efficiency motor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by r22jjc View Post
    cant see what your working with,is it one of those old octopus looking relics ? if it is ,its most likely sealed and or insulated with asbestos.
    No not an ancient octopus. Heater is the standard looking box type, probably 5 to 8 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by r22jjc View Post
    the real estate guy knows the added value of a new a/c system.there might be a reason he didnt allready upgrade..
    The house is a flipper and he's only had it for several months.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Free A/C? How can you get a free A/C? Sellers put it in? If so, look out
    yes well it still has to pass FHA inspections, be correctly sized & energy star compatible (as per contract)

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    HVAC equipment is not completely modular. You can't "add" gas heat to an air handler. You have to pick one or the other a gas furnace or air handler with heat pump and/or electric heat.
    I understand that the AC would have to be re-tooled in the event of a gas heat conversion. I guess the real question is, in most cases, can AC be added to a conventional oil heater/blower without also replacing the heater and/or blower.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Crow Whiske View Post

The house is a flipper and he's only had it for several months.
    That says it all, he's on a tight buget, and looking to get every penny out of it he can.

I understand that the AC would have to be re-tooled in the event of a gas heat conversion. I guess the real question is, in most cases, can AC be added to a conventional oil heater/blower without also replacing the heater and/or blower.
    Most older oil furnaces only need a blower motor, and motor pully size increase.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Most older oil furnaces only need a blower motor, and motor pully size increase.
    This is what I expected. We decided to hold firm in our offer to the realtor thereby calling his bluff.

beenthere, are you a contractor? I'm in Chester county... don't know if that's out of your service area or not. Regardless of how the offer on this house pans out, more likely than not I will need service at some point. I intend to have a nice and efficient hvac system regardless.

Post Likes
    if its only a few years old your most likely good to go. look to see that all your ductwork is insulated. if you had the modal #s somebody on here could tell you for sure. good luck.

Post Likes
    beenthere, are you a contractor? I'm in Chester county... don't know if that's out of your service area or not. Regardless of how the offer on this house pans out, more likely than not I will need service at some point. I intend to have a nice and efficient hvac system regardless.
    Yes.

But, I don't travel to Chester anymore(use to when I worked for a company).

Use to do some service at an apartment building on the wrong end of either 5th or 7th street.
    Plus an adult community apartment building in West Chester.

Don't travel that far anymore.

Post Likes
    yes well it still has to pass FHA inspections, be correctly sized & energy star compatible (as per contract)

Energy Star doesn't mean much. Neither does an inspection. Get a local contractor to work with you. You won't regret it, and it will be worth every penny.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in