Heat Exchanger Inspection Mirror

I went to a heat exchanger expert seminar last year and saw how useful a 1" thick, 2' long mirror is when inspecting heat exchangers so I grabbed one. Ofcourse the thing got shattered in the back of my truck today after hitting a bumb so I decided to look for a new one online. I cant find one anywhere...anybody have an idea as to where to buy them? I could just go buy a mirror and cut it up but im sure ill end up breaking it or doing something wrong and wasting my time.

The 1" thick 2' long mirror is not a telescoping mirror if thats what your thinking...its a solid 2' long piece of mirror with some tape around one end to use as a handle.
    HVAC PRO IN THE MAKING
    NATE's:
    Gas Heat Service/ Installation
    Air-to-Air Heat Pump Service/ Installation
    Air Conditioning Service/ Installation

Quote Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
    I went to a heat exchanger expert seminar last year and saw how useful a 1" thick, 2' long mirror is when inspecting heat exchangers so I grabbed one. Ofcourse the thing got shattered in the back of my truck today after hitting a bumb so I decided to look for a new one online. I cant find one anywhere...anybody have an idea as to where to buy them? I could just go buy a mirror and cut it up but im sure ill end up breaking it or doing something wrong and wasting my time.

The 1" thick 2' long mirror is not a telescoping mirror if thats what your thinking...its a solid 2' long piece of mirror with some tape around one end to use as a handle.
    I had them as well....been through the same class....cannot for the life of me remember the name of the feller that taught it.....LOL

The mirrors need to be ordered from the company that hosted the class....

To honest....those mirrors are the reason I invested in a camera.....
    I need a new signature.....

Go to any glass shop. They can cut tempered glass mirror in any size. You can get about 1/2 dozen cut for what you would pay for 1 if ordered online. I had a dozen cut about 4 years ago, and I sold a few on e-bay to make the 6 that I have left free.

Quote Originally Posted by Even Temp View Post
    Go to any glass shop. They can cut tempered glass mirror in any size. You can get about 1/2 dozen cut for what you would pay for 1 if ordered online. I had a dozen cut about 4 years ago, and I sold a few on e-bay to make the 6 that I have left free.
    As I read, that was my thought as well.

Either that or invest in a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Profiler View Post

why 1" thick, wouldnt any mirror work of that size??

heatexchangerexperts.com
    Those are the people you are looking for, you can call them and they will sell you one.

hvacmike, the mirror is designed to fit into each section of a clam shell heat exchanger, with this mirror you can inspect about 90% of the HX and 100% of the critical areas with hardly bending over. They are real nice to have.

why not use the polished stainless steel, they don't break.

3 shapes/sizes: 3" round. 2"x4" flat, 1"x4" flat, they all telescope
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I made something like that from an old mirror that is 1/4" thick.
    I epoxied it to a 3/8" board to keep it in one piece. Has no sharp edges.
    It is 1-3/8" wide and 25" long.

I used it once or twice then forgot about it. I found it in the shop.

Is this what your asking about?

Great idea. I have broken more telescoping mirrors than I care to think about....
    Never give up; Never surrender!

as was said, go to your local glass shop and have them make whatever size you want.

then make a "case" for it out of pvc and foam inside to cushion/protect it.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ